Rocks and Woods in Tank???

Oct 27, 2005
Ok so I'm on a budget because I've already spent so much on my 30 gallon breeder tank with stand. I want some rocks and wood decorations in my tank but they are just so expensive. Can I just go to the local lake and use some rocks and wood there.

Will there be any bacteria or diseases that come from the lake?

Will the wood in the lake make my tank filthy?

I live in minnesota so there are 10,000 lakes and I know a few that has endless rocks and woods on the edge of the lakes

Help much appreciated.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
I have a mbuna cichlid tank with local river rocks, local driftwood, AND local river sand...so yes it IS do-able. Just make sure the rocks you pick are scrubbed clean before going in your tank. The wood is a little more complicated because yes it can have toxins in it. What I did was soak it in a bucket of water weighting it down with big rocks. Dump the bucket every day and put clean water in. You will notice the water that is discarded will be a "tea" color, that has leached out of the wood which in some tanks to have is a good thing. Some fish come from rivers and lakes full of tannins.
Soak it for afew weeks doing as prescribed. Some ppl like to boil it, or bake it...boiling it can speed up the process but if you have big pieces that makes it kind of difficult. Hopefully after soaking it will be completely water logged and then you can put it in your tank. Be careful what rocks you choose as well as some contain minerals not healthy for your tank. Do some research around this site and you can get a wealth of info and ideas. Good Luck!

Oct 27, 2005
scary because my fish might die if I don't clean the driftwood or rocks enough.

I don't think I have the patience to soak the wood for a few weeks before getting to use it. I guess maybe if I found one that I really like, and as for th rocks, I think it'll be safe as long as I give a nice scrub.

I just don't want debris and flying all over my tank, I got enough issues with my water being cloudy at the moment.

By the way I raising walleyes and bass, so I want that natural habitat.

Oct 27, 2005
scary because my fish might die if I don't clean the driftwood or rocks enough.

I don't think I have the patience to soak the wood for a few weeks before getting to use it. I guess maybe if I found one that I really like, and as for th rocks, I think it'll be safe as long as I give a nice scrub.

I just don't want debris and flying all over my tank, I got enough issues with my water being cloudy at the moment.

By the way I raising walleyes and bass, so I want that natural habitat.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Of course I understand you dont want more issues with your tank..natural habitat is cool...I have acouple tanks with different fish in both and also set up for their natural habitat. I like the "natural" look, and the fish seem to be happier as well. Just gotta make sure you follow the steps needed when you put anything in your tank really and you will be fine. Happy fishkeeping!