Rookie Tank

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
Hey there

I'm really new to fish keeping and want to buy my first tank ASAP. My two choices right now are a 29 gallon tank, with hood and filter from a pets store and work from there. Option B is to buy a tank second hand - a 55 gallon tank that has been working for over a year with 12 goldfish.

What should i do? I'm also working on a budget. Option A costs about 60$ for the tank. Option B with everything is a flat 100$.

thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The 55g sounds like a better deal, if you can get it without the goldfish, or know someone who will take them. If you get the 29g tank, you'll also have to get a heater, gravel and decorations, which can easily add up to an extra $40.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You could introduce them to the tank as soon as you move the goldies to their new home. Because there have been fish in the tank it is already cycled. Just be sure not to rinse the filter or anything with tap (chlorinated) water or you'll kill that good bacteria.

I know a couple of ma and pop fish stores nearby who would take the goldfish in...if you can't find someone who has a pond you might try a store that has goldfish/koi for sale??

As for suggestions of fish to put in a 55...wow there are a ton of possibilities. You should choose whether you want a cichlid tank, or a community tank...and go from there. Under each of those two main categories you still have to do some research and choose what type you want. You could do mbunas...or tanganyikan cichlids...or you could do a community of semi-aggressive active fish like tiger barbs and danius, or get a couple of schools of tetras that you really like (rummynoses or white skirts?) Or put a bunch of plants in and go with some calmer fish like harlequin rasboras and rainbowfish. Then of course there's all the fun stuff you can get with a community tank like shrimp and an apple snail :)

I think the best advice would be for you to visit your local stores and see whats available and what catches your eye. You dont want to just go buy a bunch of fish that you dont know anything about (even if WE give you the names!)...you need to take the names back home and research them. Fish stores are terrible about telling you that you can put two fish together that notoriously dont go together, or selling you a fish that you find out wont eat anything except live food etc etc.

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
on a side note, the house i'm moving into also has a pond outside that is empty. Does this pond need a separate filter and stuff? it's not very big but should fit a few goldfish. Thanks alot for the great replies!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Goldfish really need about 10gallons each and a big filtration system. Do you know about how many gallons your outdoor pond is?? They make pond filters...you could look for a garden or pond supply store and they'd be able to tell you a fair amount about them. (how big of one you'd need for what size pond etc.

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
my 30g set up with filter, 1/2 necessary gravel, tank stand, and clear cover was over 200$. If I had to get all new it would have been close to 300$ I bet. YOu did good by my CT standards...know we're a bit pricey here.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah, like twoluvcats said...if its in good condition $100 for a 55 and all the 'fixins' is a good deal. Does it come with a stand? If it doesn't come with a stand you'll probably need to buy one...a 55 gallon tank will weigh somewhere between 500 and 600 lbs.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
Just to show you what kind of deal you are getting here is the price list(averaged) from wal-mart for everything you are getting. 55 gal. tank $150 gravel, stand $60, $20-25, heater $23, filter $40, 6 goldfish .90, decoration $2 and all that stuff on top of the tank, if you are getting it is a good $35-50 at least. So yeah, you are gettin a heck of a deal. Especially since non of the new stuff is cycled, which is a pain to do, sometimes. *celebrate

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
hey guys. thanks for the advice. I went ahead and got the tank. Came with two hoods, a stand, heater, thermometer, air pump, filter, accesories for changing water, lots of chemicals, test kits, food, 7goldfish and 2 "suckers".

I have the fish in a 20 gallon bucket thing with the air pump running.

I set the tank up, and the water is a little cloudy. Added the dechlorinating stuff. I'm going to let it settle up today and check the ammonia/nitrate levels tmrw. I maintained all the gravel and deco inside - so bacteria should be there.

The owner also gave me some "de-stressing" solution, which claims to contain a lot of cycling bacteria. I added some of that to the tank too. Thanks

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
hold on though. First off let us know what these "chemicals" are. You probably don't need them and they will only cause you more money and more maintenance. The bacteria in your tank and the filtration system, and of course water changes (w/c) should be all you have to add, except a dechlorinator that is. stress coat isn't usually necessary unless you have an issue the fish, like disease. most people don't use it at all. If the 'chemicals' are medicinal on the other hand, they may save you money and hold onto them. just give us a list of them and wait for the responses :)

As for the fish, if you didnt wash any of the decor or rocks and it wasnt out of the water for more than a few hours then you should probably put them back into the tank. They might get stressed in a bucket all night. just a thought......