Run Down On Saltwater

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
Eventually, within about 6 months, I am looking to convert my fresh 55 gal tank into a 55 gal saltwater fish-only tank. Could someone give me a list of things that I am going to need and a ball park figure of what it will cost? I am trying to create a budget for this thing and need to know before I make any moves. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Fish only

1. AquaC, Precison Marine Hot -1, Backpack. Decent skimmer $150-$200
2. Some live rock $3-$4/lb....Could also go for dead rock $1-$2/lb....Make your own rock...$0.50/lb...or no rocks

Rocks will help with biological filtration.

3. Powerheads. 2 on each side. Maxijet $35-$40 for two.

4. HOB filter. Might not be needed if you have a lot of live rock. $20.

5. Sand or Crush coral. Depends on what is chosen. Cheap or very expensive.

6. Saltwater. 50 cents/gallon. Can mix your own or buy at LFS.

I think the skimmer or the live rocks is the most important purchase in the beginning. They will help out a lot in terms of beginner mistakes considering the live rocks can help with biological filtration and the skimmer helps in excess nutrients. After your tank is stable , possibly months to years, the skimmer might not be needed depending on how much your feed your fishes.

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a sw set up, and I was wondering what kind of salt I can buy to mix with the water. Can I just buy regular non iodized salt from the grocery store?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Sea water salt is 90% sodium chloride, 9 percent magnesium chloride and one percent essential trace elements. Table salt is only sodium chloride.
You could take table salt and add the other chemicals yourself, but it would be very hard and very expensive. Admittedly table salt is tempting as it's the cheapest thing you can buy (what's cheaper - even horse dung is more expensive), but don't even try it.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Not only that, but table salt contains anti-clumping agents that you do NOT want in your tank....

Aspguru~
One thing you need to determine is whether you want this tank to be a fish only or a reef tank. If it's the fish only, then Dattack has it pretty well covered, although I would strongly recommend going with some LR.
But, if you decide that it's a reef you eventually want, then you are going to have to purchase some decent lighting.....and that is something I would do right at the start. No sense in using substandard lighting to start out then have to upgrade later.

On either kind of tank I would (personally) go with the sand and make a DSB as this will help lower nitrates.....

Have fun planning!:D