s/th lodged in fish's mouth

erickles

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
My platy has something lodged in it's mouth. Don't know what, thinking maybe fish food like a hard flake? Noticed it last night but still there this morning and fish can't eat. I can see the foreign body side on and it does not look like cotton wool or a fungus, more like a tiny disc with sharp edge...as if I could remove it with tweezers if the fish were not so small! Is there anything I can do?

erickles

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
FYI when feeding

Just for your information I checked out the food, just regular floating tropical fish food which was recommended to me at the store. It has quite a few small white sharp pieces in it. I don't know if it is bones or what, but be careful out there in case you feed your fish these bits. They don't seem soluble. My fish is still in misery, I feel awful and helpless. :(

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
It sounds like you have to try to remove it. Take your largest net ... wet it and smear it with Stress Coat or something like it ... net the fish... bring it into shallow water and grasp the fish with the slime coated net material. A cotton glove with StressCoat works well too. Take a "Q-tip" with most of the cotten removed and try to dislodge the particle. Push it towards the open end of the mouth. Or take a toothpick and wrap some cotton around it. Just a little cotton. An old dental tool with cotten around it works well too.

erickles

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
she's fine now!

Thank you for the tips, much appreciated. Good to hear I was not crazy for thinking I might have to try and remove it. Luckily I came downstairs the next morning to find she was back in the group swimming about happy as can be! The foreign body gone. I still think it was a piece of food. Thanks for the tips, I will keep them in mind if it ever happens again. :)