SAE in cichlid tank

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I have a little problem with brown algae in my cichlid tank. Can i move my 2 inch SAE to my cichlid tank from my 20 G. Will he be safe in there? My 55 G tank has been divided in 2. On one side i have male, female convict with babies and on the other side i have 2 bumble bees 1 male convict and 1 red zebra. The side that has 4 cichlids has been the most effected with brown algae. Can I? is it safe? Anybody?

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't consider it. SAEs are so nice and gentle and just the thought of one of them being chased and harrassed by cichlids disheartens me haha

Sounds corny but I'm fairly serious. Besides brown algae is better controlled by just waiting it out until it disappears on its own. Not to mention the oto is a far better brown algae diner than the SAE.

Illyria

Small Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Illinois
It depends on the nature of your SAE. It is still young being only two inches, when they reach up to 6 inches. I have read of peoples SAEs being docile and others nipping or attaching anything with flowing fins. I also read of other owners' SAE biting of the tails of others fish. You just have to test for yourself, if you notice any aggressiveness towards your other fish remove your fish.

Edit: about your brown algae problem, your SAE should take care of that and be sure your have sufficient lighting in your tank.(about 10-12 hours/day). Brown algae develops from not having enough light. I have never had it and have had my aquarium for sometime. Just make sure to keep your tank lit with a sufficient source.

Last edited:

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Illyria said:
It depends on the nature of your SAE. It is still young being only two inches, when they reach up to 6 inches. I have read of peoples SAEs being docile and others nipping or attaching anything with flowing fins. I also read of other owners' SAE biting of the tails of others fish. You just have to test for yourself, if you notice any aggressiveness towards your other fish remove your fish.

Edit: about your brown algae problem, your SAE should take care of that and be sure your have sufficient lighting in your tank.(about 10-12 hours/day). Brown algae develops from not having enough light. I have never had it and have had my aquarium for sometime. Just make sure to keep your tank lit with a sufficient source.
1st thanks for repling.

My SAE is pretty aggresive. He tends to attach him self to my white molly. They fight each other every 2 days. As for brown algae. I know it is my mistake before i used to keep the lights on only for 5-6 hours but for the past week i have been leaving the light on for 9-10 hours. Still no affect on the brown algae.

How does brown algae go away on its own??

Illyria

Small Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Illinois
I wouldn't be to eager then to add the SAE in with your other fish. Or you can still try and it may or may not be aggressive to your other tank mates. Brown algae has the ability to grow in low lit places where other algae have problems. Checking your phosphates and Nitrites in your water would be a good start. Increased substrate cleanings all help with detering the growth of algae. Otocinclus catfish are known for eating brown algae, if you don't have any of them. The number you need depends on how big your tank is though.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
thats not aggresive,they are sucking something from their body(or maybe is)Only pleco can stay with chiclids,SAE will end up being their food.For brown algae,it is fairly easy,get your hand into your tank and start rubbing them.No way for u to put any otto into your chiclid tanks,they are way to small,they can be the food for larger size angels then why not for convicts

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
-JIN- said:
thats not aggresive,they are sucking something from their body(or maybe is)Only pleco can stay with chiclids,SAE will end up being their food.For brown algae,it is fairly easy,get your hand into your tank and start rubbing them.No way for u to put any otto into your chiclid tanks,they are way to small,they can be the food for larger size angels then why not for convicts

I dont want to add a pleco to the tank. I Dont like them much. I guess i will have to get my hands wet and rub the alage off the rocks. Thanks fot the post. your post was the clearest of them all. *SUPERSMIL

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
hmm from what ive read, the SAE will be food, so i think that u should just get a pleco...not a common tho , those get too large. because i thkn that u will get annoyed with having to rub the rocks alot, but if not, then keep on rubbin!

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Most of my brown algae experiences have been of no trouble at all. Just a little brown stuff that rubs away easily or is devoured by otos...and often never returns or if it does it's never a serious nuisance.

I think many of us make moutains out of molehills in the world of algae. It's perfectly natural and only as unsightly as we want to believe it is. As long as it's not an infestation signifying serious water quality problems, it's no more than a sign of a fully functional ecosystem.