Safely building rock piles

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Can I ask if anyone knows of a product that if able to secure pieces of live rock together while they are underwater? I know zipties are recommended but I'm finding this frustrating enough without the involvement of fiddely little zipties. I don't see any other way though.
I thought I had my rockwork how I wanted it, but then I noticed some pieces were touching the glass which is obviously no good because I then can't clean that spot. Even if that wasn't the case I would still've had to change it because I woke up today to to find my 7 inch engineer goby has lived up to his name and has undercut my work, causing some of the rocks to fall. Everyone is ok thank God!! There's nothing else for it I thought as I cut a bunch of 2 inch length of pvc pipes to bury in the sand and act as supports. Little did I realise how bloody difficult it is (and dangerous for my tank mates) to balance big old rocks on pieces of pvc pipe in the sandbed. Nearly impossible. Compounding the problem, I need my structures to be tall because I have a tall tank. I can't find a way to safely lock them in, and have it looking natural with all the nooks and crannys etc. I'm fed up. :mad:
So does anyone have any suggestions as to a solution? How does everyone else get around this? Surely it's not an option to remove my rock (live or not), dry it and glue it outside the tank. Perhaps ziptieing somepieces outside of the tank and seeing what happens? I've found some underwater setting glue in Dr. Foster catalogue but it doesn't look suitable.
Any ideas anyone?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
no it doesnt...depending how handy you are you can also drill holes in your rocks and instert metal rods to hold them together...zipties do work well once you get the hang of them, and combine them with the putty.