Safety of Tetra Algae Control?

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I have had a recent outcrop of Brown Algae in my 10g. My snail didn't seem to make much of a dent in it all. I also wiped it off the plants but it comes back within a day or two. I recently dosed the aquarium with Tetra Algae Control. Is this a safe product and is it very effective? At the moment it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. After dosing I noticed that it said not to be used with invertebrates. Is my snail in danger? If so could I temporarily put him in with my betta? Thanks for the help.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have never used the stuff, not sure. You may try to go to a high "K" light. Most tanks come with a light around 3000K to 5000K, these bulbs grow algae pretty fast. Try to get one at or over the 10,000K. These will not grow it so fast. You will still have algae due to the nutrient level but it will be at a slower rate. I run an 18,000K and am pretty happy with it. It seems to help with my algae growth, maybe you could benefit as well.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reduce the number of hours you have your light on, add more live plants if you can, and make sure you aren't overfeeding. This will help with algae growth. I'm leery of using extra products in my tanks, but that's just me - so if you do decide to use the Algae Control, yes, you can move your snail to the betta tank.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
That's why I'm getting Otos. I have a brown algae problem and Otos love that stuff. You can normally find them around for $2-3 and after the first month or two you can have an Oto with you for 3-10 years. Also, despite what people say, all the research I've done I've found out that Otos may or may not school, but you don't have to buy a whole lot. You could get 2 and feed them cucumbers, zucchinni, carrots, and peas during and after they wipe all the algae from your tank (they can get into almost every nook and cranny, so don't worry about wiping off your plants. In fact, don't wipe off the algae at all!!). They are constant eaters and get rid of algae fast. I strongly suggest that you go to www.otocinclus.com - Home of the Dwarf Suckermouth Catfishes and think about getting some Otos. I'm probably gonna get 2 or 3 again very soon. I hate having to scrape off the algae, plus it stresses out my fish.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Would I be able to fit any Otos into my tank? It's already pretty well stocked.
And what about live plants? Are there any that I can basically just toss in there and not have to worry about to much?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
It just means that you'll have to do bigger or more frequent water changes. Many people think that my aquariums are too overstocked and are suprised that the fish aren't dead. But I do a 30% water change twice a week and I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and right before a water change I'll have .20-.30 nitrates. Not all that bad really. Otos don't eat plants either. They'll eat the algae off the plants but they won't eat the plants. Plus you'll really like otos cuz their so adorable and absolutely loveable!! I got so sad when my oto suddenly died and now I truely have a whole in my heart. That's why I'm getting MORE!!!!!! lol!! I just have to have otos in my life again. I'm thinking about getting 3-4 so I might be able to spawn them.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I like otos, also but don't think they are the total answer in a small tank for algae. I have had two in my 2.5g for close to a year. The brown algae still has to be manually removed about once every two weeks. Small tanks are just harder to maintain. There was no way two came close to dealing with the brown algae in the 10g tank. It is possible there are different types of brown algae and I am not growing the one they like. lol The lights are only on about 8 - 10 hours.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
If the Algae isn't causing any harm to my fish I think I'll just leave my tank as is. It's only on the tips of the leaves on my plastic plants so it isn't encroaching on the glass and my water is still crystal clear.

I looked at Otos and would love to have one but I don't want to add any more fish to my tank as it's already overstocked.

Thanks for the help everyone!