Salt Acclimating Sailfin Mollies

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay I saw the LFS had a few sailfin mollies in his saltwater tank that he had acclimated ??? has anyone ever tried this and if so what were the results?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ive tried it. You have to be very slow with it. I have tried it 2 and both times lost the fish. They seem to be more sensitve than Puffers. They do very well (Iv heard) after they are acclimated but its getting them acclimated thats tricky (IMO atleast).

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well the lfs had about 10 or so swimming around and they looked really good almost like fairy wrasses.....as they were the gold/red ones.....I wonder how they made out....

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Most wild mollies (ther are a few species) are good in everything, and actually are designed more for salt than freshwater (design of gill rakers, other adaptions). As most mollies in ythe shops are hybrids they can usually tolerate everything excep soft freshwater, given a few days to slowly acclimate. They are killer algae eaters.

Nov 24, 2006
I have various breeds of mollies in my saltwater tanks...i just put them in new fresh water (about 1/2 gallon) in a 5 gallon bucket, place an airline tubbing in the salt water tank and fill the bucket with the saltwater(natural gravity flow) and then just dump them into the tank. i have not lost one other than due to old age.