SALT CREEP

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, really the aquarium isnt generating salt magically so as long as your top offs are too a consistent level then you should put the creep back in to avoid altering the salinity as much, this is particularly important on small systems

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I've always just wiped it off. That creep stuff is contaminated with all sorts of icky junk that is hanging around on the glass of your tank, as well as with the air, that I wouldn't want back in the water. Wiping away salt creep is not going to make that much of a difference in your salinity levels, I don't think even on a 2 gallon system the small amount of salt that is creeping it does. Just do your regular water changes and stability checks as usual, you're good for getting rid of it. But hey, if you want to push it back in, up to you, don't matter none either way.
~~Colesea

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Ryan, there really is no right or wrong, at least, not so far as the aquarium hobby is concerned <G>. You know when something is right when it works for you.

As far as learning, that takes patiences and time. You can't be expected to know the whole hobby overnight! Heck, it took me four years (including two summers) to earn my undergraduate degree in marine biology, and yet every time I log onto this forum I learn something new.

Learning comes from digesting all that information out there, then internalizing what sounds right to you. You said so yourself, so long as the chemical conditions within the tank remain stable, what you do with the salt creep is up to you.

I only added stuff about contaminates because I worked in retail, and often times the creep would occure around the big sump filters, where dust bunnies and dirt and gunk would get stuck all over it. No way I was pushing that gunk into my tanks! If ever the salinites were off, I either added more salt or more fresh water to bring them back into balance. No tank is self sufficient, and whether or not you add salt creep back into the tank will not be the determining factor in the stability of your tank. Your constant monitoring and preventitive intervention is what is the determining factor.
~~Colesea