salt layer??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
my friend started up his tank about 2 weeks ago
65 gallon
40 lbs lr
well he just called and said it looked like a layer of salt building up over the top of the water....ive never had this problem so i didnt really know what to say ...only thing i can think of is lack of water flow just 1 powerhead and a magnum filter but i wouldnt even think that would make it possible...i havnt seen the tank personally but any suggestion on what i should suggest to help???

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
My suggestion it to point that powerhead at the surface. 65 gallon should have more than one powerhead for better flow. Also, salt should sink if it doesn't dissolve so it's probably just a protein film. Are they using a protein skimmer?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
i can't see it being salt because i've knocked some salt build up off my lights and it sinks right to the bottum and is gone before it hits the sand so it must be something else and i think he needs to get at less another PH but still kinda weird...

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
definetly agreeing on adding more flow......i have 2 powerheads in my 15g nano....

i am also agreeing on a protien skimmer..........that's probably what is collecting at the top of the water....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Joe Fish said:
My suggestion it to point that powerhead at the surface.
yea thats what i told him

65 gallon should have more than one powerhead for better flow
yea he just setup the tank 2 weeks ago and after buying 40 lbs or lr 1 ph is all he could get for now but he knows he needs way more flow *thumbsups