Salt Survey

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmm I have read some really conflicting info on various salt mixes.....but the only one I haven't read any disparging comments on is Tropic Marin and is it worth the extra it costs.......

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
What have you read that puts you off of IO? Maybe someone can help quell any fears you have of using it? Thats what I use too and it seems to work wonderfully.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
...I was talking to Lorna? Lorna mentioned "I have read some really conflicting info on various salt mixes"...so I was curious what they'd read about Instant Ocean.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have used
IO - nice, have 50 pound bucket now
Reef Crystals - nicer, not worth the extra at the moment as I dose kalk anyway
Kent - my favourite, made in the same factory as the two above, unobtainable in Norway.
Red Sea - all right, not as bad as reputed
Aqua Medic Reef - low in alk i.m.o.
Elos - nice (Italian), but nothing special
Tropic Marin - nice, comes in low in Ca and alk as you're expected to be dosing these anyway.

Personally I like IO/Reef Crystals/Kent, and buy what I can get a decent deal on 25 kilo buckets.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I had read something on another forum linking to this article

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php

This was later debunked so to speak by Bob Fenner at Wetwebmedia...... so I just was wondering.......

They seem to like the Tropic Marin there......others favour Kent but no one really dis's on IO or Reef Crystals.......except what I read at that link.....

Currently I am using Seachem Reef and want to switch out slowly to something different........and I am leaning to the Tropic Marin.