salt water dream tank

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i dont have a saltwater tank right now, but i have really been wanting to start one, maybe in the next year or so, i have basicaly decided what i want in it and was wondering if it was all compatible or if it is too much for one tank.

100 gallon reef tank

100lbs live rock

corals:
carnation orange coral
chili coral
colt coral
devils hand leather coral
green lights mushroom coral

inverts:
1 florida condi anemone
assorted dusters
5 pepermint shrimp
3 hermit crabs
1 brittle starfish

fish:
1 true perculla clown fish
2 green chromis
2 purple chromis
1 spotted mandarin dragonnet
1 coral beauty angel

keep in mind this will probably not happen for another year, im saving up for it. looking at a tencor complete package comes with built in filtration and protien skimmer.(acrylic tank) but would all of this be compatible or is it overstocking, just wanted to get input before planning.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
not sure what a carnation orange coral is but beyond that things look fine. you might really consider getting a larger number of chromis as they will make a really neat display in a larger group...and you do have lots of room still

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Yeah you have alot more room for many species of coral as well. Youll be sure to spot somehting interesting and neat (do research) here and there you want to add, a tank is a neverending project ;) Same thing with fish, you could get a nice community type reef going.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i have just had a really hard time finding bright colorfull fish that are peacful and reefsafe, i love the colors of the dragonnets but the more i have looked into them the harder tey seem to be to take care of? is this true? any other fish and coral suggestions would be great. and i dont like button polyps.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
all the corals i have listed call for medium lighting and medium water flow, but i want to get a high watt halide light, that is the only thing the tank setup does not come with. i dont know too much about sw lighting but like i said its gonna be about a year, gotta wait for the money and wait to get a bigger house as well.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
thnaks guys i will be updating the post if i find anything else i like, also, i just found out that we have yellow tangs wild around where i live, would it be hard to try and catch them myself or would i be better off buying them?

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
yah im in florida panhandle right on the gulf of mexico, really nice area but its getting quite crowded population wise. and i see cool creatures all the time, i have seen sting rays sharks and dolphins all right up near the beach very cool to atch. i will have to post some pics sometime.