salt water from ocean

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was just at one of the lfs's and the owner told me that all he uses is water from the ocean he argues that its the best thing :eek: is this true ???? i know the salt levels are higher but he said it doesnt matter :confused:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
lol he doesnt know wat hes doing -_-

theres hella pollution in the water for one thing...

but some places like "the world down under" has the best reef water...dont think he got it there...

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
If you go out about a mile from coast, and know the water isnt tainted, it could be used. Salt levels in the ocean arent that high, they are in the range we keep ours at in captivity. The benefits of this water is any beneficial bacteria and nutrients, but synthetic salt mix does a great job with giving you what you need, minus bacteria.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
It can certainly be done, but you'd make sure you collect pretty clean water without pollutants, and try not to get it after heavy rain when near coast the salinity will be dropped a little. But I sometimes use it for the plankton, though not often or in large volumes. Any water from off the US would be suspect for me.

Salt levels around most of the world are much the same outside the red sea. Remember almost all our livestock has come from natual seawater. The biggest hassle is hauling it around.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well he made it sound like synthetic salt mixes have all kind of chemicals in it... he claims to be in the hobby for 25 years and says hes been using it for years.... all of his tanks look amazing the only thing that botheres me is hes actually selling this ocean water for .75 cents a gallon ..... id rather drive right down the street to big als and get it for .50 cents a gallon anyways

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
JWright said:
"Being in the hobby 25 years" can be a good thing or a bad thing...
yea but ive been going to this guys for years and if you saw his store you definitly say hes reputable and hes never steered me wrong before