salt water newb

Dec 11, 2002
Flint, Michigan
Visit site
Well for starters you really don't want to start a salt water tank unless it's atleast 50 gallons because it's harder to keep the tank levels good but it can be done just harder for a newbie. OK I'll give you the setup I have and I was a newbie. As far as fish I have 1 niger trigger, 1 huma huma trigger, 1 undelated trigger, and 3 damsels.

90 gallon tank
2 300w heaters
1 power head ( not really necessary for you)
2 bags crushed coral 42 pounds of live rock
Emperor 400 filter
2 overhead lamps
saltwater test kit for ph and nitrates
salinity tester
40 pounds of Omega Sea Salt (not all the salt went in)
20 pounds live sand

As far as setting it up there is so many ways to go about it but you just need to make sure the tank is cycles before you add your puffer I got a few damsels and the live sand with the bacteria for a partial cycle.

Well That is part of the info you asked for and I am still only a couple months into saltwater so I'll let someone else give you some info on setting up because I kind of made my setup a hassle lol. Good Luck you'll be happy when it's done.

Matt

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
brackish water has a specific gravity (how they measure salt content) of around 1.012. Marine usually is 1.023 I heard that some brackish water fish can survive in a marine environment, but it depends of the fish, and how it is acclimated.

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
Back to the tank... Yes get the biggest tank you can. If you wanna do fish only i recommend a wet/dry filter but if you wanna save some money get at least a fluval canistor. also get a skimmer.

I could go on for days but perhaps you should narrow it down a little as to what you had in mind.