Salt water question

Sep 9, 2007
Hi

I just joined this group and its pretty nice. I havn't really had a chance to read much because I'm real tired and falling a sleep would feel really great. This forum seems to be an explosively exponential start with my fish tank hobby that I just started. I just finished setting up my 30 gal tank.

now I have a a few questions.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/myfishtank.net/httpdocs/forum/search.php on line 1011

this message comes up when I try searching the forums for my answer.

Why is that? Is it my computer? If not, will the search feature be refined to fix this? I'm running a freshly installed windows xp on a good enough computer with zone alarm security. I think I may have to restart But I will try that tomorrow but in the mean time I'll ask my question that I was wondering.

Okay is it really necessary to even worry about fresh water fish being in salt water? at petsmart the guy said all their fish tanks are salted water. And when i read the stickers of some fish it was obvious they were fresh water fish. Is this guy a joke or no?

Sep 9, 2007
oh and im sorry for being "broad" I'm making a trip there tommorrow and will gather the species in which he is doing this to. I'm for sure the little guys, a lot of them are fresh water fish.

lol, petsmart and their salt. *rollseyes*

they use aquarium salt. dont listen to them. the fish they have there are all freshwater or brackish water fish all in truly freshwater conditions. the "aquarium salt" is NOT marine salt. you could keep a freshwater fish in true salt water... for a few minutes before its cells are rapidly dehydrated and the fish dies. :) sounds bad, but its true. you should let that guy know next time you see him.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :)

If your search contains something with too many results, it will give you an error. Words that come up in almost every post, such as fish, water, aquarium or salt would do something like that. If you use the "AND" function, it might work better. Good luck searching :)

By the way, there is a big difference between a little salt in a freshwater tank and a saltwater tank. Freshwater fish live in fresh water (no salt), although some old-school aquarists believe the salt to be beneficial, modern thinking says that freshwater has no salt in it.

Saltwater setups are completely different, have different fish and different methods of setup.

I'd strongly advise you not to get advice from chain stores about saltwater tanks.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Good advice from all.

Just a interesting note.......Mollies can be adapted to saltwater and kept in saltwater tanks. They need to be acclimated over a long period of time and can withsstand salinity in the ranges we keep our sw tanks. Here is an article on it....

Animal Library: Fish: Mollies

Sep 9, 2007
Florida
let me tell you something about my petco and petsmartfriends they are full of bs really, if you are really getting into this hobby you need to find a nice reef salt water supplie store near you. petco and petsmart all they do is get there fish in their tanks and put them in a bag and sell them they them selfs dont know very much. you need to get fish or any coral from a reef store where they have their water under UV sterilizers and awesome water levels, most likely the fish you get from petco and petsmart are sick and under lots of stress so when you introduce them to your new perfect water they die from stress and all you do is intrduce perasites to your tank so stay away from petco and petsmart fish and corals they are crack cheap in proce and cheap that will cost you lot more work.