salt

fishums

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2009
so iv been told that putting aquarium salt in your fish tank is good but im not shure why, could someone explain this to me? Also do you just put it in once or do you need to refresh it after a few because it dissolves of something?

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi Fishums. I disagree. I add salt at each water change. The added salt is more like their home in a normal environment. The salt adds electrolytes for coloration, disease recovery and improves gill function. Knock on wood for this next sentence, but none of my fish have ever had any diseases. I hope I didn't jinx myself telling you that, but I guess I have been lucky. I also add "stress coat" to replace slime coat, promote tissue regeneration and reduce electrolyte loss. All of this information comes from the containers. Good luck.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I did a little research on the subject once. The articles for it vs against it ran about two to one.

I talked to a guy on the phone from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and he gave me some very convincing reasons why I should use salt.

Now granted, he worked for the company that sold the stuff, but he did make some good points, imo.

And for what it's worth, you can use Kosher Salt from the market, much cheaper than the AP stuff. Not good for scaleless fish like Catfish. I have a 7 incher in one of my tanks. If I add salt there, I usually go with half the recommended dose.

I've used it off and on, mostly off. I've never had any disease in my tanks either but I attribute that more to frequent and sometimes large (50%) water changes.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
This question reminds me of the ( should i leave my computer on all the time or turn off daily ) question ! lol
both sides had good explanations.
i use to put in once in a while but now just keep on hand in case of an ick problem.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Water Hardness

I put aquarium salt in my molly fry tank to prevent Ich, since I had a beloved molly die of Ich before. It really depends on what type of fish you have. Salt is not good at all with tetras or killifish, for example, since they prefer soft water and salt makes the KH (hardness) very high.