Saltwater Aquarium question

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Currently we have a 10 gal and 20 gal freshwater aquarium tanks. I would like to start a salt aquarium (possibly 40 gal) but understand it is very expensive. I talked to a guy at a LFS, and he said that the only difference between salt and fresh is that there is salt in the water. He told me if I was using fake plants etc, I only needed to worry about the salt/water mix and that I could by it from him for $5/gal. Is that too much money for salt water? How do I find out the right combination of salt and water to maintain a 40 gal tank? I don't plan on reef tank for awhile because I am told those are really hard to maintain. I would just like some feed back on the best way to start a salt water aquaruim and if the information I mentioned above is true. Appreciate everyone's time and comments. Thanks.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Check out the stickies at the top of this forum.... esp. the one about what you need to set up a SW aquarium and the one about live rock. It is a little different, as you'll see from those stickies. Mostly, you don't really need a filter, just live rock and water movement over it to provide the biological filtration, as well as a protein skimmer. A 40g is a really nice size to start with.

I'd say that's a high price for saltwater. You can get the saltwater mix and water for much cheaper than that. The mix will tell you how much salt mix to add per gallon, but you need something to test the salinity too. (Keep in mind that once you have stuff in your tank, you never want to mix the water in the tank, and you should mix it at least a few hours before adding it to a tank (except the first time).)

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
That's highway robbery for premixed water. I pay around 40 cents a gallon for my premixed saltwater. And this is primo stuff too... I know a few stores that just sell customers regular tap water mixed with Instant Ocean, often with salinity way too low.

Starting a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) is the best way to get your feet wet.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck and post any questions if you have em! (I know the stickies left a lot of unanswered ?s for me when I started out.)