SaltWater books

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
I'm very interested in buying mike paletta's The New marine Aquarium but they don't have it here in montreal, well I haven't seen it at chapters or indigo.
I was wondering if it was a good book that can help me with my tank set up. Like a how to from a to z. I just want to know a bit about the book before I go buy it online.

I'm looking for a book that shows me more the technique on creating my tank with all the equipement and where to place them and all and not just a book about fish. I already have a book about saltwater fish.

So is the New marine aquarium a good book or do you recommand another one?

Thanks

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
you can order it from chapters store but they do not have it in the store directly when you do a search for each store. Plus I went to two chapters already in montreal and they don't have it. That is why i'm asking if it's worth it for what I want so I can buy it online :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would say this is exactly the kind of book you're looking for. It has lots of info about equipment, how it works, what it does. It has a lot of step-by-step instructions (with illustrations) on how to do pretty much everything to set up a tank. It also has a lot of checklists, etc. Of course, it also covers the theory/water chemistry and some basic stocking information.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think it's the best book of it's kind, and a must for all beginners. I can't think of much it's missing, and has a shopping list + step by step.

John Tullochs book is also very good, and is to be recommended.
Next on the list is Robert Fenners Conscientious Marine Aquarist (freshwater people should look at this too, not specially relevant, but interesting)
Then Scott Michaels paperback pocket guide to aquarium fishes
And if you want Corals Eric Bornemans book is unbeatable..
Then if you want to get serious Fossa and Nilsson Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Volumes 1 - 4 (beware, expensive but good, scientific, probably 250 dollars total for the 4)
Get that lot and you have a pretty good library. I have no idea what the two Sprung/Tulloch books are like, though good reputedly.

I would also beware because there are a couple of pretty bad books out there, that are old - ..... for Dummies springs to mind.