Saltwater Fish?

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
Hi,

Today is my uncle's birthday, and I was thinking of getting him a fish that could go in his 185 gallon tank. I don't know much about saltwater fish (but I do know alot about freshwater), and I need to know what kind of fish would be compatiple with his other fish. Here's what he has in his tank:

*185 gallon*
1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Clownfish
1 Blue Damselfish
1Green Mandarin
3 Sea stars
A couple of snails
Live Coral

He also has another Tang that changes colors, but I don't know the name of it. I was thing of getting him a Gobie. Would that work? If not is there another fish I could get?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think the damsels would probably take the chromis out wouldn't they?? :) Thats usually what happens. I think a goby might be lunch too...but they're very cute and maybe they will hide in the rocks and get away from the more aggressive fish?

It doesn't sound like he has that many little critters...I think I would get him some hermit crabs!

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
If the mandarin is doing okay then a goby would too. I don't see anything predatory in there currently, in a smaller aquarium a goby and mandarin together would be dangerous but I think this tank is large enough. A dwarf angel would be nice too but you have to be careful with the coral as you say he has.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Just to echo whats been said, a gift certificate with the stipulation that he may only use it to buy a fish or invert and not filters and sponges etc, might be the way to go. Even if you find a fish compatible with his tank (and in a tank that size there should bea fair few) your selection might not compliment his plans for his tank and then he's stuck with it to save your feelings. Noone likes an awkward present. Gotta add though, everyone likes a shoal of Green Chromis and they should'nt interfere with any plans he may have,

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd never buy someone a fish for their tank without knowing exactly the fish they want and that they actually want it. You could always ask him what he plans to add next and subtly see when he planned to add it, then go get it for him. Or maybe take him out fish shopping so he can choose what he wants.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Nothing. It means he has to QT it anyway. Do you want to give him a gift that gives everything else in the tank ich or velvet and kills everything.
Gift voucher or a big bucket of salt is a much better idea