Saltwater mixing station

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
I am going to make a saltwater mixing station and I was wondiering about the type of container to use. Would the average rubbermaid 32 gal trash can work or do I need a special type of plastic to make it safe for the water?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
you want a rubbermaid brute trash can (with lid) ive heard that other types can leech out chemicals into the water over time or somnething along those lines, any food grade container will work too....

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I have two of them, 32g with the wheel asssembly under them. One to mix the new water in and one to siphon the old water into. When I first used them I was getting a film of some sort floating on top of the water, I used a cup to skim the top of the water before putting it into the tank. Now, I don't really know if this was coming out of the can or not, but I think it was, because it dosn't do it anymore. Thses are the cans that Lowes sells.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
I use a 30G tank to mox my water and salt, with heater for temperature balancing and power heads. From there, I have a permanent pump setup to fill the sump tank after draining and cleaning. I was getting tired of moving water, especially after I got a small pump for free. After a 30G water change, my RODI refills the 30g tank for top-up's between water changes.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I also use a pump, takes about 5 mins. to pump the water into the tank. I do the water change in about 20 mins. including clean up. I am getting pretty good at it, at least that is what my wife tells me, I get very little water on her wood floors now, lol.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
I don't really care how any of you perform your water changes. The thread was started for information regarding a safe container to mix my saltwater in, plain and simple. That question has been answered and I don't need any more feedback or comments not related to the original posting.