Saltwater Sump / Refugium Question....

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so I have my 29gal setup now for about 8 months and all is really well. Tanks is doing amazing and corals and fish are great. My question is this:

Can I add a 10gal sump/refugium to the tank to eliminate the algae issues in the main tank? I have read in various places that if you add a sump with a fuge that you can keep all of the algae in the sump area and not in your main tank. Is this true? Or at least cut down on the algae in the main tank.

I also want to move my skimmer, heater, and other filter to the sump to clean up my tank.

I will be building this myself. I'm pretty handy and can handle everything, just not so sure about the return pump power vs the intake power. I'm going to use the two specimen containers to build a surface skimmer for the intake side and then pvc piping for the rest of the plumbing.

Any thoughts or advice from anyone?

PS: Sorry for the long winded text, I just want to make sure I get it all before diving in head first....
*PEACE!*

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
sounds like you have a plan. You do want to match your return pump to the overflow as closely as possible. Most overflows flow at about 600 gph and a mag 7 at 3 or 4 ft of head should match though you may want to drop it to say a mag 5. The return can be dialed down by installing a ball valve though you don't want to have to turn the return down too much as it will affect your pump over the long run. just remember to allow back siphon room in your fuge/sump for a power outage.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Thanks for the input.

Do you think I should do a refug in the sump or just a sump? Also if I do the fuge, what should I put in there to make the best out of it?

Is there an alternative to the back siphon room in my sump method? I just dont feel that is a sound method to keep from getting a flood in my place. Maybe some sort of valve shut off that closes when the water flows in the opposite direction to seal it off?

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
you could try a small pond or fountain pump as they tend to have flow rate adjustments built in that way you don't have to worry about restricting the pump and slowly burning it out over time

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
If you drill a TINY hole in the back of the return line right at water level(of your display tank) you will only back siphon the water above that hole, which will only be the water in the return line. Drill the hole as small as you can get, like 1/64" and drill it at an angle so the water spray goes down into the tank and not straight out the back. This will ensure that you don't back siphon several gallons of water from your display tank on to your floor. My sump will never overflow on to the floor, and if my return pump should fail, I have enough room in my sump to handle the water from the overflow.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Also they do sell check valves that you can put in line with your return but those can restrict water flow and they can fail too. There is a flapper in the check valve that only opens one way but sometimes they can get stuck or even break. And if that happens you have a mess. I would go the hole method. Much safer

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If you do the math.....even 1 inch of display water can add up to 5 gallons.....you will have water drain back until the hole breaks the back siphon. I mark the place on my fuge that the water must not go over to ensure I have room for any back siphon before it breaks.
This is one of the best sites for setting up a sump and talks about back flows etc.

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Thats why you drill the hole at the surface of the water. Once that hole is exposed to open air your vacuum is lost and can no longer siphon. Trust me, it works. Your outlet can be three inches below the surface of the water but once that hole is above water level, the only backflow you get is in the return line between the pump and that hole, which in my case is probably less than half a gallon. Any other water is going to come from your overflow and that can oly drain as far as where it sits in the tank. My power has gone out many times over the coarse of the summer and my sump has never come close to overflowing.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
I find that Mels reef place a very hard place to understand. Mel is by no means the first an foremost expert on sumps. Anybody with a high school physics class and half a brain can figure out how to build a sump and understand siphons and backflows.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
exactly my point. A hole drilled 3 inches below the surface on a standard 29g will back flow approximately 4 gallons before the siphon breaks on a 10 gallon sump that is almost half the volume. Building sumps is not rocket science I agree but you would be suprised at how many people don't take this small item into consideration until AFTER they have had a flood.