Saltwater Tank and not being home

Nov 19, 2004
Visit site
Hello there, I have done saltwater in the past i did it for about two years and then had to break it down because i moved. I havent kept saltwater in about 3-4 years but i would know what i was doing if i started it again. I keep trying to stick with the freshwater but its so hard because nothing quite matches in color. If i went back, and this i went with a much smaller tank whats the longest i could be away from home before the evaporation became a problem, thats the only problem i can actually forsee with a smaller tank. When i had a 55 gallon i could be away for weeks at a time and come back and find everything as i left it, save a little algae problem.
Anyone have experience with small saltwater tanks. I have heard of 1 gallon tanks but im not prepared to do that , i would have to be home everyday to top it off, by the way i live in fl but my air conditoner runs almost constant so i do lose water in my tanks. Im looking for anyone who has done 5 gallon to 30 gallon saltwater tank. Im not prepared to go any higher....personally i prefer smaller tanks. Is there any around the evaporation? The ammonia wont be a problem because i never stock high anyway.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ive done a twenty...depending on how much light and what kind of pumps/skimmers/etc you have running on the tank your evap. will vary...i was losing about a gallon a week on that 20

its an easy problem to solve though, you just need to set up an auto top-off and have a big bucket full of FW

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They are devices you buy. You have a float valve which operates a small pump when it goes below a certain level which pumps fresh water in. You can also make them yourselves. Tunze make a nice one, or Aqua Medic, no idea what US brands

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think the tradiitonal float valves are a bit crappy, and prone to jamming with salt build up. I think they could be a nerve wracking d.i.y. project as the result of failure is flooding.

Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
Don't get me wrong here but don't smaller tanks need more maintence than larger ones??? Wouldn't he be better off going with a larger tank? I currently have a 20 gallon though, and I've been away quite a bit but guessing right off the top of my head I would say you could leave it for at least a month with out tinkering with it.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Yes they do...smaller tanks foul up faster, temperature flucuates, water evaporates faster. I have a 20 gallon with an open top and I replace evaporated water every 3 days.