saltwater tank

tadpole

Medium Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
hey im bout to get a 75 gal tank which i want to make into saltwater tank i need to no what all i need for it no corals, i am planning on live rock which i need to no how many lbs i need, and im getting a skimmer, wet and dry filter, heater (duh), and i need to no which type of substrat to get?

thanks Tadpole

tadpole For a 75 gallon tank you will need at least 75 pounds of live rock (maybe a little bit less for cycling)

Wet/Dry is a no go, the prefered filter is a refugium or sump. The bioballs well eventually become a nitrate factory so may as well remove them befor you start

Skimmer: get one that is rated for a slightly larger tank. It is always better to over skim than under skim.

Power heads: You will need min of two of these for circulation. There is no best place to put these but I recommend one at either end of the tank and you can move them as required. :)

As for water I use NSW (natural salt water) but you can mix your own but if you have to go this way then do a complete check on it before adding it, and you will need a supply of ro/di water for topups.

Now just have some fun*celebrate

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You need to do a bunch of reading I think else you might struggle a bit. The usual books are listed elsewhere in this set of posts. There's a lot more to knowthan a few simple posts can describe if you want to get of to a successful start