Saltwater Tank

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Well thats it... as of Tuesday October 24th my saltwater tank was no more. I cam home from work to find a crack in the tank with water dripping out of it. Good thing i came home when i did because my husband unplugged some items and it started to spark, a few more minutes and we would have had a fire. Not to sure what happened but i was told that the salt water can cause problems in a semingly normal tank. Anyways, i brought all the fish to my local fish store and he agreed to take them. Good thing is that none of the fish were killed during this.

So farewell saltwater world... atleast for now

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
WOW...that is a lucky unfortunate event. (lucky becuase you caught it before everthing died and even worse a fire started)

Were did the crack appear... in the glass or in a sylicon seam? If it was a seam the tanks usually have a warranty against that for a few months- year.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
no it was a eclipse tank and started at the top where the filter was. don't even ask me how that cracked but apparently it did.

I was told by my lfs that the saltwater reacts to tanks differently then fresh water. not sure if that has anything to do with it.

yeah we caught it just in time as my husband was unplugging some of the electrical stuff it started to spark and smoke came out of it.

:(

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
How long have you had that tank; NO warranty...?

I would mention to your LFS that you have read some online reviews and that it seams this is a common issue with this particular tank, I would try and get them to give you some kind of a deal on your next set-up under the cercomstances that your house was almost about to go up in flames!!! (That is if that is the LFS where you purchased the tank from)

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
no i got the tank from my mom. She bought it about 5 or 6 years ago and wasn't using it, so i set it up. originally had it a cichlid tank then decided to switch it into a saltwater tank and got the cichlids a much more roomier home.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
actually the place that i went a dropped off my fish, he told me that when i decided to get back into it he will help me out.

He's a smaller store but i prefer him over anyother stores where i live. He knows way more then the 16 year old behind the counter (sorry to offend anyone)