sand bottom tank

brnttoast

Small Fish
Sep 16, 2006
winnipeg manitoba
i have gravel in all my tanks but would really like sand in the tank with the walking catfish, i'm sure they cant be comfy sleeping on gravel, my question is how do you suck the waste out of sand without it going up the siphon?
or is it a special filter system? or.....?

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
Actually u only need to suck waste on top the bottom surface,just move your siphon tube making water movement will make the waste fly up,and u just suck it.im not sure with the stirring way cause i never try it myself before

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I let the sand go up the tube about halfway and then I tilt it and shake it gently and the sand slides down while the waste keeps going up. If there's not a lot of waste on the sand then I just use a turkey baster to collect it before I do my water change.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
nealio said:
Can you use a sand bottom with any type of fish?

oh and is sand ok with planted tanks?
I don't know of any reasons why you couldn't but someone else might know of a reason..

You can keep plants in sand just make sure you put them where you want them because it's a bit of a pain to move them once the roots have taken hold.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Do you have a specific question about it? It's a good price that's for sure and it's not as dense as regular sand so you won't have problems with grey spots. I had it in my betta tank and made his colors and the plants just pop. It's very nice :D

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I have two goldfish in the tank I want to put it in, and I think I read somewhere that the sand substrate wasn't good for the goldies, maybe they suck it in when feeding off of the bottom.

If it isn't a problem, I"m going to order it today. :)

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I have sand in my goldies' tank. I've encountered no problems with it. If you have a link regarding sand substrate not being appropriate for goldies (although I can't imagine at this time why that would be so), I'd like to read it. I'm proud of my tanks and like to make sure I'm taking care of them in the best way I can, overall.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
The link is something that I found when I first got them. I didn't bookmark it. It said something to the sort of using a substrate large enough so the fish wouldn't digest it.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
nealio said:
anyone have any experience with THIS

Nealio you asked if anyone is using Moon Sand. well I am using the white moon sand and it is very fine. I like it. Although cleaning was a problem at 1st then once you get the hang of it is does a good job. I have it in my 10 G tank and have 4x20lbs bags for my 55 gallon tank. I am waiting for the fry to grow a little bit. then i will do a substrate change.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
nealio said:
Thanks for the replies!

When you do a substrate change, are you pretty much starting from an uncycled tank again?

I actually am not sure but someone on this site told me that it will propably go through a mini cycle. but What i think is that it wont. hopefully not. Cuz their is enough bacteria on the walls of the tank on the rocks and i have to filters running on them XP3 and aquaclear 70 (300) So the filters should also have a good bacteria colony. Anyways i dont have many fish in the 55 gallon tank. I will move the fry before i do a substrate change. Even if it goes through a mini cycle i can just take some old sand put it in a pouch and hang it on the side of the tank for biological filtration.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I've never gone thru a mini-cycle when I've changed my substrate, which I've done several times this past year. There should be enough bacteria on the glass, ornaments and in your filter media to sustain the cycle. If you do have a mini-cycle, just do several water changes and feed lightly till it's over and you should be fine.