sand fleas....

Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
ok maybe they are not "sand fleas" but they are very tiny like a flea and they are green and do not like it when the light is on! When my timer lets my lights on you can see them for about 10 minutes before they hide and there are about 50 of the little buggers!.. you will see them head to a little spot of algae on the glass and seem to be eating it (i have to admit, my algae is really diminishing since we noticed them) although i keep reading i cannot find anything that is like this. does anyone know what they could be and if they are good or bad?... thanks in adavance,,,,, Tammie

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
They may be copepods or amphipods, which in theory are benificial, certain reef fish only live of of those kinds of populations, a picture would be helpful in further diagnossing
Brahm

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
im going to agree with aresgod here...and they are most definitely good. they may be a bit unattractive to look at, but as youve noted, they hide when the lights are on so you won't see much of them and your fish will enjoy the snack

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
If they are green, they probably arent copepods. Most likely they are some kind of organism associated with live rock and sand...probably harmless.