Sand for Substrate

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I was at Home Depot earlier today and was going to pick up some sand for the tank I am setting up. I found some "White Play Sand", but on the bag it states "Do not use in Aquariums". I thought I had read a lot of posts on here saying that you could use it. Do they say this because many people do not know better and never rinse the sand before putting it in the tank? If this sand cannot be used, what type of sand can?

Dragonett

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
Norwalk, CT
Visit site
Not sure, but they may use chemicals to sterilize the sand to make it safe for young children to play in. It may prove itself to be toxic for fish and other water life. Maybe someone else will have something more constructive to say about this.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Dont you have some beaches around where you live Mainer? I went to my local beach for sand, rocks and driftwood. Clean the sand as you would "play" sand, scrub the rocks with a good stiff brush and soak your driftwood in a bucket changing the water for afew weeks before introducing it into your tank! Very natural and CHEAP *SUNSMILE*

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
I used sandblasting sand at our local equipment store. It is the same as the sand that they sell in your LFS and half the price. Just rinse it until the water runs clear and viola...make sure you don't get the finest grade. It is like babypowder...Tried it and what a mess! I paid $10 for 100lbs

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
WOOO. Finally got some sand. Picked up some industrial sand, went for the bigger stuff. Just like you said IvannaFish, got 100lbs for just under $10. Not bad. I have a 75g tank, so I might end up getting more, but it's a start. Just have to paint my tank stand, and then it's go time. Very excited.