sand sifter

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im looking to add a sand sifter to my 125g but not sure which one.... IMO most that i see are just plain ugly *twirlysmi any suggestions?? btw im talking about a goby incase you didnt kno*crazysmil

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
ugly? yeah up close...

but if u think about it sand sifters r like bottom dwellers so they need to be brown/dark. i wont know any bright sifters.

btw a scooter blenny is pretty common.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think gobies are great looking!

You could get nassarius snails if you don't like gobies. I've heard diamond gobies will sometimes cover your corals with sand.

I have a tiger goby. He only does a little sand sifting, but I like him anyway!

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
yeah tiger gobys are pretty cool.

anyways if u need your sand to be sifted them i seriously recommend getting nassarius snails. i got 5 in my 10g tank with 20lbs of LS and so far so good.

i might get more (the big ones tend to stay burrowed more)

have any of u guys been at a LFS that feed a sump tank full of sand and nassarius snails a cube of brine shrimps? (i think its brine shrimps)

in 5 seconds u see hundreds of tubes sticking out and next thing u know the whole surface is covered in nassarius snails going crazy of the food.

someone said it remind them of zombies how they emerge :rolleyes:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea i already have some nassarius snails but in a tank this size i feel i need a little more as far as stiring up the sandbed...... scotter blennies are one of those ugly sandsifters i was talking about :p im think possibly a 4 wheeldrive goby?? i dont kno though any others???

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Maybe a yellowhead jawfish? They don't do all that much sifting but they are definitely not ugly. For comparison, I've got a dusky jawfish, which my mom calls "the ugly fish." But yellowheads look nice (or the blue spotted ones are really gorgeous if you've got lots of money).

Yes Coolwaters I've seen them feed the nassarius tanks, and it's awesome. I tried to do that once with my snails and it didn't work :(

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have a diamond gobie and he is quite the character, constantly sifting the sand, building and rebuilding and burrowing under everything. I would seriously consider a mated pair of sleeper gobies. They are neat. I also have a black cucumber that does the majority of my sand cleaning....does a great job too! along with nassarius snails. I would steer clear of stars as they tend to clean out the fauna in the sand bed.