Sand Sifting Star

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Does these types of stars do pretty much the same thing a hermit could do? Eat Detrius( dumb question, but just what is considered detrius? ) and sift the sand? Do they have a lot of activity? He buried himself yesterday and he hasn't moved yet. Do they just come out at night?

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
not bashing you in anyway, but expect a lot of criticism for buying livestock with out first researching

The Sand Sifting Sea Star or Starfish, has a thick, beige to brown body with lateral spines (teeth) extending upward along each side of its five arms. With the help of these spines, it moves over the sandy bottom of the ocean sifting through sand for food. The spines also enable it to burrow into the sand to hide or digest its food.
It is very active and effective at moving large amounts of sand as it searches for food. They are omnivores and are great for reef aquariums for eating detritus and left over food. It does well in an aquarium setting if provided with a large, deep (several inches) sand bottom where it can feed and hide. It should not be housed with Puffers.

The Sand Sifting Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. The drip acclimation method is highly recommended for all Sea Stars due to their intolerability to changes in water chemistry. It should never be exposed to air while handling.

Breeding in an aquarium is extremely difficult with no distinguishing characteristics to help differentiate males from females.

In the aquarium, it can be fed small pieces of shrimp, fish, urchins, bivalves, or other small starfish.

Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1'
Color Form: Brown, Tan
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Fiji, Tonga
Family: Astropectinidae

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=572

i would suspect it will need a larger tank eventually, due to the fact that its max size is as wide as your tank is with out anything in it... it might get a bit cramped with the LR in there

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I do research before buying. Just want to get some opinions from MFT since I can get more info on here than from what I have already read. I have already been told 55 would be fine although I do know they can get big.

I checked out liveaquaria first, then I read marinedepotlive.com and they are like two different descriptions. One says it's a good addition and the other says it's impossible to keep. One says it's ok for a DSB, the other says NO and it will not eat detrius. Are they really that hard to keep and keep fed?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It is my understanding that sand sifting stars usually starve to death fairly quickly in tanks under 120g as they will eat everything in your sandbed, good and bad. They need a very large footprint to support their appetite. I have heard of them decimating all life from a sand bed fairly quickly...........

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I read a bunch of articals on WWM and most people say you can have them just have to supplement them with food. So I need to find some food I can give him. He will eat flake food that is left over? If I put it right in the sand next to him?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think the problem you will run into in supplementing is that these stars live IN the sandbed and you probably won't see it. Often times they will die in the sand and by the time you realize it you will have an ammonia issue possibly...... I have heard that 1 to 48" tank with a really good well established live sand bed loaded with lots and lots of worms and other fauna......I don't know. I was researching them for my tank and decided against them as it wasn't mature enough so I opted for a sea cucumber who manages to keep my sand pristine and white, and doesn't disturb the sand below 1/2 inch. The goby does that.......

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
My lfs is awesome, ridiculously & sometimes brutally honest, and when I inquired about the sand sifting star they said that they will eat everything in the dsb and they don't reccomend them at all. He said that everything beneficial that has been growing in your dsb will be eaten in no time and like lorna said will just die.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I swore the sand sifter was the way to go as I was looking at stars. Guess I was wrong. Hopefully it will not die on me. I guess what would you all think I need to do it keep it alive? What if I went out and bought a bottle of copepods? I was under the assumtion will eat uneaten food, is this true? Just what could I target feed the star fish with? I'm going to see if I can get some frozen mysis tomorrow to feed my fishes with.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well sand sifting stars eat what is in the sand bed so the only way to supplement it would be to innoculate your sand bed with a sand bed activator kit......one loaded with spaghetti worms and things that live in the sand. Try Inland Aquatics.com they have a good activator kit. You may need to do this on a regular schedule to make sure that there is enough in there for it to eat. I am not sure that they will eat anything that you try to target feed? Here is a method I found on Webmedia "One method I use is to get a large syringe, remove the needle and draw in some prepared frozen food and inject a small amount into the gravel near the star. It will soon find the food."

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Milo I would read the stuff on webmedia about starfish. That's a good start.

Joe, I would think that by using frozen mysis or cyclopeeze or some other good frozen food would work? If using mysis order or get some of the piscine energetics brand it is very high in protein and fatty acids than other brands are. My pickiest eater gloms onto that whenever I feed it to them....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Just got some frozen brine and mysis. I'm going to go check out the other LFS today and see what kinds of starfish they have. I'm hoping they would take a trade for mine. I see what you mean about trying to find him.

Milo, from what I have read on WWM is that brittle stars would be OK with a DSB.

Last edited: