Sand substrate in freshwater??

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
what do you want to know? a lot of people love sand. i personally prefer gravel. it's cheapest to go to the hardware store like home depot and buy playsand. it's non-toxic since it's used for children's sandboxes and such. a fifty-pound bag shouldnt cost you more than $5.00! :) just be sure that you wash the sand a LOT. when you think you have rinsed it enough, rinse it again. after you add the sand and water to your tank, it will take like a day or so to clear up, as the last of the fine particulates are filtered out or settle down. what people like about sand is that the poo just stays on the surface so you can hover a siphon hose along the surface to suck it out of the tank.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
On washing the sand, I suggest filling a large bucket about half way with it, then filling the rest of the bucket with water. Move the sand around for a few minutes and then dump out the water. Repeat that about 5 times, and the sand will be really clean :)

If you want pros and cons:
Pros: I personally think it looks really nice and certain fish love to burrow in it.
Cons: Slight currents will mess it up, it's can be hard to clean, and can be dangerous if it builds up in a corner or mound and isn't flattened out. It can also be hard to plant it, depending on what you want.

So it kinda depends on what kind of setup you're using it for :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you get play sand, 5 washings will not cut it. Keep washing til the water runs clear, even if you stir the sand up. I didn't rinse enough, and had to do a complete water change to get the brown mess of water out, but it was nice and clear when I refilled. I highly recommend taking out fish while you add sand, in case you don't rinse it well enough.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i don't like sand PERSONALLY because it's always getting all over my rocks and driftwood and you can't go as long between maitenence without it looking bad - all the poo will show. yes, it does look GREAT when you keep on top of it and it look very clean and simple.