sand vs. gravels

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
I have to say, I like gravel. However, sand is good for growing plants. On the downside, it really clouds up your tank for like the first week or so. Sand does tend to give your tank a smooth looking bottom though Gravel tends (or so it seems) to add more texture. However, it is just a touch harder to grow plants (my experience) because of all the gaps. I really think its all how you want your tank to look.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
In my opinion:
Sand is pretty and good for fish that have it in their natural habitats. The biggest pain to keep clean though.
Gravel is nice for planting and I find it much easier to clean.

I'm a gravel fan and I'm planning on coverting my sand substrate Zebra tank to a fine-graveled one in the near future. It's just easier *thumbsups

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I like gravel. it is easier to clean and I think it looks more natural. I have a mix of fine gravel and large gravel. Pluss I have slate as well to add that smoothness to the bottom.

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
Oh I have no idea really yet.. Its mostly just wishful thinking. Maybe gold severums.. They have a BEAUTIFUL (so beautiful it deserves capital letters) parrot cichlid (?) at a lfs here, but he's a monster. The recently got in some "blood reds" but I heard those were a dyed fish. True?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Some are dyed some aren't, if it is little and red then yeah it's dyed.

I like sand and gravel, for plants sand isn't the best it packs down and makes it hard for the roots to grow. Same can be said for larger gravel impeding root growth. But normally plants have a pretty easy time growing in smoother pea sized gravel.

If you are trying to keep a spotless clean tank sand is the next best thing to bare bottomed, since the mulm/poo stays in the top. But without stirring it once in a wile you will get anaerobic bacteria.

Gravel allows the mulm/poo to go down into it thus hiding it and giving the tank a cleaner appearance.

They both have good points and bad points. It really depends on what you are looking for.