sand?

williamC

Small Fish
Aug 20, 2008
I was wondering can you buy any sand for a fish tank or does it have to be a special type of sand.
And if i have a cory cat will it eat the sand and when fish come to eat off the sand will they eat the sand?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Most types of sand work. Pool filter sand, Play sand from hardware store, and sand from the LFS.

No they will not eat the sand, though they will pick some up when they go for the food. But they should spit it right back out. Pretty entertaining to see actually, them sifting through the sand.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I have a bucket of sand that is used in sand filters at a water filtration plant. I ended up using very fine gravel that is light in color.

It is quite funny watching a fish pick up a mouthful of gravel and spit it out. Mine do it all the time.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I've had multiple sand tanks...I love them. One used a $3 bag of play sand from the hardware store. The stuff worked great, it was even pre-cleaned so less work for me. Some sand you find has little bits of crap in it, that you dont want in your tank...like they just went to the beach and scooped up eleventy billion pounds of sand, bagged and sold it. However, I believe it was quickcrete play sand. Great stuff. I've also used the sand fromt the LFS...its suggested to rinse all sand before you put it in the tank however.

Your just rinsing it to make sure you get rid of any left over dirt that may be around. Its not TO much of a pain to do. The benefit of the looks of a sand tank is wonderful though, at least in my opinion!

So, I say go for it!!!

williamC

Small Fish
Aug 20, 2008
but when i move stuff around i will need to shut my filter off and i have heard people talking about gas bubbles in the sand? what are the gas bubbles?
and is sand hard to keep clean

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Sand is easy to keep clean! Nothing settles down into it, everything sits on top. As far as the bubbles...I've never had the problem...all you have to do is poke around in it with your vac every week or so. Thats a bit over kill really, but it will make sure you have no problems.

The only time I dont suggest running the filter is 1: When you first put the sand in, the large pieces of sand will float around mid-tank and get sucked up. Let it settle for a day or two first. Let all the larger stuff settle first. The super fine stuff should not harm your filter.

Edit: Oops, forgot 2: If you making alot of moves inside the tank, shut the filter off for a little bit. Just to make sure you dont stir up to much crap.