Sand?

Feb 5, 2009
I am getting a 55 gallon tank and thought about using sand. But, I also want to have live plants. Will plants be able to live in sand? Should I use Flourite underneath the sand for more nutrients? Or should I just go with really fine gravel.

I had about regular sized gravel in my other tank, but I realized how much crud gets down in between the rocks. So, I thought sand might be better.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
I use play sand in my planted tank and they do fine. Something that ive seen people do lately is use soil as there bottom layer and then put a small layer of gravel over that and seems to me the people that do it have success.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I have pool filter sand in my 14 gallon tank. This tank has been in operation for one year now and the plants are all doing fine. I have a journal in the 'rate-my-tank' section of this tank that has plenty of pics.

Be advised that sand may need to be stirred once in a while to prevent gas build-up.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
I have seen success both ways, but imo, you can be very successful using the sand by itself. You can get play sand at Lowes or Home depot. Make sure you rinse it really well to make get it clean. Most plants get the Fertilizer from the water column. Those that need nutrients at the roots can be fed with root tabs. After your fish have been in the tank a while, they will provide a great deal of nutrients in the sand for your plants. Good luck!