sand!!!

Jwoody

Medium Fish
May 14, 2010
ok so this is the first time i have ever put sand in my fish tank, i am starting out by putting it in a 10 gallon, i have rinsed the sand multiple times, tried pouring the water in slowly, and waiting... and the water is still very murky, is there anything that i am doing wrong or is there some special way to get the water in the tank, right now i am siphoning it in with a small bubbler tube, it is KIND OF working, or am i supposed to put the water in first then dump the sand in? any help would be great!

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
Just know that pretty much whatever you do to stir up the sand will make the water a little murky. So add your decorations, rocks, etc. to the tank before you add your fish.
and if you are using play sand, be sure to rinse it out very well before you pop it in there.

Jul 4, 2010
india
i have also used sand as the substrate in my 36''x18''x18'' setup..looks nice and the fishes enjoy playing with it too but my only worry is how do i clean it without too much trouble.

oh..jwoody do make sure to stir up the sand once every fortnight. it helps escape the gas and waste that gets trapped under the sand and keeps the sand fresh longer.

Jwoody

Medium Fish
May 14, 2010
Ok thanks alot!!
el_batty, i was wondering that too because i can clean out my tank with the gravel in it with the little vacuum(if you will), but how do you do it with sand? i was also planning on getting some ghost shrimp to put in the tank, so they will eat all the food that sinks to the bottom so it doesnt look bad.

Jun 18, 2010
Lima OH. USA
You can also make a gentle siphon I use it for my aquarium, it wroks well and won't pick the sand up unless I put the hose right on the sand, you can pm me. If you need instructions on how to make it