save money on lighting!!!

stevej

Medium Fish
Jun 25, 2009
hey im tryin to save as much money as i can to put into rock and corals and things like that. im only fourteen so i really dont get a high amount of money a week. i'm wondering if instead of buying a expensive four tube lighting fixture wit the timer and all that fancy stuff if i can just buy two doubles. i have one that my cuz gve me from his old tank and i was wondering if i can but a smaller one in . my tank is 36 inches long and i hve a 36" t5 light on it now but i want another light to put a actinic tube and a regular tube in the other one. can i get a 30 inch light or do i need to get another 36" one. any advice would b very helpful. -thanks

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
If your are just doing a fish only tank you can be cheap as you want, but if you plan on having any corals in there at all you will need the light. You could easily get by with a T5 HO fixture. Check craigs list and ebay if you are strapped for cash, or hold off on your setup until you can afford lighting. It is one of the more crucial components of your setup.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
The cheapest option is coming soon, china is bringing high output LED light systems, wich were very expensive until now. In a couple of weeks, there will be a MH alternative, better than T5. Costs less electricity, and the LED switch their spectrum after 20 years...so..no replacement.
If you have time, i suggest you wait. The only con with led system is the glimmering effect that you find on MH.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Stevej: it would help us assess your lighting needs if we knew what kind of coral you intended to keep. Also, while knowing the length of your tank is useful, it is more important to know the depth so we can figure out how much water the light needs to penetrate. Also, simply knowing you have a 36" fixture isn't nearly as useful as knowing the wattage of the bulbs.

Kahluazzz: do you know who the manufacturer/distributor of the new LED systems will be in the U.S.? Also, do you know what the approximate cost will be of these systems? I hope you don't think I'm trying to hijack your thread stevej...just trying to get you all the information possible about your options.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Camaro, i will give you more info about the brands, but i'm getting a generic one equivalent to a single 250 MH from my contact who imports directly from asia. They clone major brands like CJB for under 200$ shipping included. I'm waiting the order.Living in California you will have better prices. If you plan on getting ATI, Giesemann and other luxurious brands, it's still gonna be expensive, but IMO those quality rules don't really apply to led systems. Even a Jebo would be ok. The only interesting expensive one is 500$ USD ..you can get a lumenaqua that changes the color temp! (2k to 20k) Timer + Kelvin change means most awesome lighting ever, almost perfect simulation. Anyways when i have more info i'll tell ya

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I was at IMAC over the weekend, and someone there had a nice LED setup. The shimmer on it was actually really good. I don't remember the brand (I hadn't heard of it before), but I think it may be a new brand coming into the US market.

We have some LED moonlights that have some nice shimmer, too.