Save the fishies

So, I have a female guppy that gave birth about 5 days ago and she was HUGE so she should've had like 40 babies right? Well now i can only find two and i moved everything around... any suggestions for how to keep them alive for one more week? I dont have any spare filters or tanks and i do feed them everyday i just dont want them eaten... any suggestions would be AWESOME!

ps. i did try this in the birthing section but no luck. thanks anyways kissyboots!

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
guppy fry, unless you get them out right away, become a meal to everybody in the tank. you can get a breeder net and put it in the tank, and move them into there to keep them safe. also, add some plants, like a big clump of java moss, so the fry can hide in it. the thing about guppies is that you will have no shortage of fry in your tank, especially with 4 females.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
punkrockfish is right... I have 3 females... only of which 2 have been pregnant, and I have loads of guppy fry...

if you want more to survive, just do some of the things he said to do.... you can always just buy a 2.5 gallon tank for about $20 or less, and put them there till they're big enough to go into your main tank.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
if you don't have the funds then you could, depending on the size, balance your net on the top of your tank and let them live in there protected till they gain some size. or take a small plastic container, poke some holes in it for water flow, but not big enough so adults can get it, and stick that in your tank for them to live in till they get big enough. also, the stuff i suggested shouldn't run you more than $10.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I just planted my tank. Once I added a bunch of jungle vals to my tank with some java fern, the fry were able to swim between the plants quickly enough to lose the parents chasing them. I am no overrun with fry...

You don't need a breeder net or anything fancy at all. All the fry need are a lot of hiding places.