Saving Money, Do it your self, and getting started

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Even if you have money to burn you probably shouldn't here are some tips, all have been tried by me that will help you save some money on getting started, upgrading, etc

1. Gravel. If you are doing anything 30gallons or larger gravel can be a huge start up expense. Home depot and Lowes both sell pea gravel for about 2.99/bag it's very dirty so be prepared to wash it thoroughly but when you are done you get a nice river rock appearance with lots of natural colors. Here is a link to what you are looking for. 3.00 could get a whole 55 gallon tank done although i generally splurge on 2 bags and then end up using 1.5.

Vigoro 0.5 cu. ft. Decorative Stone Pea Pebbles - 40206018 at The Home Depot

2. lights, If you need lights for your tank check out your local home improvement store for shop lights, you can light a 55-90g tank with a shop light for about 19-30 dollars, a fraction of what a fish store would charge you.

3. Tanks, so you are ready for your first tank, or maybe an upgrade. Check craigslist and garage sales. Don't be frightened about using a used tank. It will be fine and a fraction of the cost. 1.00/gallon for the tank part is a good rule of thumb, if there is a stand, filters, lights etc use your best judgment (figure used you should be paying 1/3 of new on these items or less)

4. Decor well here are some cheap/free ideas on that;
A. Teracotta pots, they come in all sizes smash
them, drill holes in them, glue them together to make
towers, attach silk plats go crazy Use some sand paper to
sand rough edges so you don't end up with fish injuries
B. Slate I like to buy this at home depot/lowes also.
I smash some pieces then glue (aquarium silicone is what
I use for glue) them together to make colums, then
stack my large pieces on the columns to make tall
structures for fish to swim in and plecos to live in
C. fake plants wow good ones are killer expensive.
So this is how to make your own. Pick some silk plants
at joanns (or whatever craft store you like, I go to
joanns because they have 30-50% coupons in the paper
all the time) then use aquarium silicone to attache them
to either a single rock OR some gravel mixed with
silicone
D. getting your tank water ready instead of start
right you can use the gunk from an established filter, a
friends, the fish store whatever you can get, just rinse
the filter pads in some fish water to make some yuck fish
gunk in a bucket, add it to your dechlorinated tank and
then add fish right away.
E. Rocks Sometimes I nab rocks from the medians in
parking lots for my tanks, the key here is avoid red (full of
iron) and sand stone rocks, give them a really good
washing and presto. I avoid anything bigger then my fist.
5. Filtration ok so here is a place where spending a tad
more upfront will save you in the end. If you go with a
filter that needs new pads all of the time it is a constant
expense, a filter that uses a sponge (like the aqua-clear )
needs no new parts, they are generally 15-20% more up
front but the savings will make up for the cost in short
order.
6. Medicine keep aquarium salt on hand and
remember that if you have anything with out scales you
can't use it. but it is far cheaper then meds and in my
opinion works better. Salt + Heat + dark will cure ich, the
number 1 disease in home aquariums
7. tank dividers ok if you are netting off fry you can
use any kind of mesh (check the craft store) secure it
under the gravel and attach it to a dowel of sorts then run
that across the top to create an instant divider. You can
also use the grates for fluorescent lights (home depot) to
keep larger fish apart so that they don't murder each other.

Another great way to save money is to avoid killing fish
There are a number of reasons fish die, but the number one reason I see on this thread is overstocking, or stocking TOOO fast. Stock a new tank in thirds or quarters, that means buy just a few fish at a time.

THE NUMBER ONE WAY TO SAVE MONEY is to check your stocking order before you buy fish. make sure what you are getting is compatible with the other inhabitants as well as will work with your tank size common errors are below by this is in no way the entire list of what not to buy;

1. Oscars (you only get 1 in a 55g tank)
2. Common plecos (also called sail fins, marbled plecos, etc) unless it is a clown, bushy, bristle nose, rubber lip it should have a number associated with it's name no number means it's common don't be duped (ie L 118, L128 etc)
3. Bala Sharks they get too big, they need to be kept in 5+ schools, they are not for MOST hobbyists
4. Silver dollars too big also schoolers
5. Pacus too big, like super mondo big also vegetarians
6. Knife fish too big, and murders
7. Parrot fish (again need 55g, you are going to max out around 3) I know they are cute, there are a variety of reasons I don't suggest them, but mostly on MFT i see people with 30g tanks and parrot fish... thats not ok
8. Red tail catfish, or lets call this most things commonly called catfish in the pet store, double check size before you buy. Pictus cats, corry cats are ok but they need schools so make sure you have the tank size and stocking room
9. cichlids of any kind, yeah you can't have them unless you are doing a cihchlid tank (exception for rams/angels)

Those are my top 9 that I see newbies getting that just don't work... there are more, make a plan for what you will buy before you go out and buy it.

There are tons more fish that probably aren't acceptable for most hobbyists, check your stocking before you buy. DONT buy a fish that maxes out at 2' for your 30g and tell us you plan to upgrade. WAIT until you upgrade!

Well that's my 2 cents sure some others will have things to add.

Last edited:

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Nice list. Also, if you're construction savy at all, I'd advise you to build your own stand. You can build a really nice one for way cheaper than you can buy one for.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
aakaakaak is talking about using a gutter like a hood for your tank btw. LOL I had to read that like 4 times and think for a bit to figure out what you were talking about.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Lol, sorry. I was in the middle of doing something at work.

DIY Plastic Rain Gutter Lights:
1x Plastic Rain Gutter
2x Plastic Gutter Caps
2-6x 6,500K CFL "Daylight" screw-in lights 10-26W(The standard daylight bulbs from home depot or lowes)
2-6x Standard light fixtures
1x pack of heat shrink tubing
1-2x home extension cords (cheapest at the dollar store)
1-2x on/off switches
1-6x mounting brackets for your light fixtures (this is the creative part)
1x length of panduit (To cover all the wires and make it look pretty on top)
a few screws
A soldering gun

For directions go check out the DIY section of these forums.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah, we keep giving this advice to noobs, so I thought I would throw what I could think of in a thread for the noobs...

Not that they will probably listen, I am sure if I look someone has a new 10 gallon full of dead fish and a bala shark with 10 common plecos... lol. We were all there once ;)

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Talking about live plants a lot of the can be cut in small sections and planted they will grow and you buy 1 plant a get a lot of then.
Expanding on that...

If the place your getting your plants has them in a multi-plant tank with loose "stuff" floating around, ask if they can toss some of it in. It helps them clean their tanks and there's a good chance it will grow floating. From there you can plant it. FREE PLANTS!