Scales falling off?! Please help

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Hi,

My molly has been poorly for a while since she dropped a lot of fry. I thought she was getting better but now she has scales falling off and is going white. Please see attached pics.

I have been adding salt and doing water changes but to no avail.

Please help :)

Thank you x x x

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Sorry, I knew I forgot something!

A couple have just fallen off but she has been scratching on the sand, not all the time though. She's eating okay and swimming around fine but she looks awful. She has been sick for soooo long now, I just want to make her better :p

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
darn, poor girl. she is looking shabby. I hope she is eating well, then again who wants to eat when they are sick :(
try a few drops of Melafix as a relaxant for the fish. make sure you are adding your salt properly too. is sounds like youre doing everything well.

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Well this morning she is very subdued......I'm not sure if she is going to last the day:(
She did come up and get some food but then went back down to the bottom.

I'm disolving the salt in a cup of water and then adding it to the tank, is that right?

One of my other Mollies (Borris) had fry in the night which is cool, I managed to save 6 :) How long should I keep them in the breeder's net before I move them into my 10g, It's been running for 2 weeks now, 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite and 10ppm Nitrate. Is it still yet to spike?

Thank you for all your help, it's amazing how I can speak to people on the other side of the world all about fish ;) x x x x

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Unfortunatley, Molly went to fishy heaven :(

I put the melafix in but within a couple of hours she couldn't hold on.

I have cloudy water which I understand is normal when medicating?

Just did a quick water test which was perfect yesterday but today:

0ppm Ammonia
20ppm Nitrate
0.25 Nitrite

I'm going to do a 30% water change but I thought Melafix wouldn't upset my parameters?

x x x x x x x

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
it won't. how long was the fish floating in the tank? dead fish can foul up the water something fierce.

I would still turn up the heat to 82ish if you can and add the airstone. It is my standard treatment for, well, every thing short of.....well....wait I do that for everything.

I always run my heat a little high in all my tanks. my wife got a little freaked when the 5 gallon betta tank was at about 88 degrees but my little buddy seemed to be happy as a clam for those 2 days.

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
She wasn't in there that long dead, I would say max 1 hour.

I've just tested the water and all good *twirlysmi

Thank you for the advice I bought an airator today, lots of bubbles! It doesn't have to be on all the time does it?

x x x x

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
It should be on all the time while the melafix is acting in the water. how much did you dose the tank with? I suggested only a few drops to act as a relaxant, not a full treatment dose as written on the bottle >_<

it matters not though, it was not the meds that killed the molly. may she R.I.P.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Run the bubbler all the time, when you crank the heat you pull o2 out of the water, in a tank that size i would be running 1 power head with air, and a bubbler. ALL the time, plus your over the back.

Medaflex has clove oil in it, they use clove oil to sedate fish. So it can make your fish a little dopey

salt + heat + clean water + heavy O2 makes for healthy fish. Although with as much salt as you are using you risk killing off that pleco