Scared of the dark???

Sep 23, 2007
I dont know whats up with my Betta but at night when I turn off my bedroom lights he flares up and starts going crazy swimming around the tank and as soon as I turn the lights on he stops and goes back to swimming happily... is it possible he's affraid of the dark...? if so how do I fix this... he does have a light on the top of his tank... should I turn that off at night too?

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
i would def turn his light off at night..it keeps his circadian rhythm in balance and his overall health..i wouldnt worry about how he acts when the lights go out..im sure its bc there is not gradual darkness...just a sudden one...what i like to do is to turn off my aquatic lights and still have all the lights in my room on...and an hour or so later when i go to bed i shut off my lights in my room so the fish are adjusting to gradual darkness

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Mine used to do this every night. My guess is that when you turn the room lights off and leave the tank light on the inside of the tank acts as a mirror. The betta is seeing his reflection and is flaring due to that.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Oh how I love bettas. Any of the more highly evolved fish in general....they always exhibit such intriguing individual behaviors.

My new blue female betta is a riot. When I first bought her, I teased my gf that there was a new woman in my life. But then get this - when she came to meet the new fish, she got flared at! Seems my new blue girl wanted to start a cat fight. :p