Scavengers

AMP

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2005
are scavengers a requirement for a fish tank? do u have to have em or what?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Usually its good to have a 'cleanup crew'. Depends how much cleaning you want to do on your tanks, what type of fish you have etc. In each of my tanks I have some type of a crew. An apple snail, or an otocinclus, or some cories and a pleco, or some shrimp and some cories. I think my tank that stays the cleanest is the 10G with the oto taking care of any algae and the snails taking care of everything else. The dirtiest tank is my 29 that I haven't found an algae eater for yet...even though the apple snail does its best...its not enough to really keep the tank clean.

So no, if you want to clean every week, scrape the algae off the glass manually, do your gravel vac...then you dont need any scavengers. I think they make the tank more interesting with activity on a level other than just the fish, and I dont scrape algae :) heh

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
FroggyFox summed it up pretty well. Here is something to consider. An aquarium has several different areas that fish prefer, bottom, mid level, top, glass. If you have fish in all of these zones, then you have a very full active tank. Scavengers generally tend to prefer the bottom, so if you want fish in the bottom of the tank, why not go for some scavenger type fish. I always specifically feed my scavengers though (sinking pellets, bloodworms, etc), so it's not like they really have to fight for tyhe food that comes down to them.