Schooling fish

aquabat

Small Fish
Oct 9, 2005
Pacific NW
Currenly, my 10 gallon is happily stocked with 4 shrimp, 2 guppies and a honey gourami.

Things are going happily right now, and i won't be adding anymore fish for a while, but eventually i'd like to add some schooling fish.

But what schooling fish could i get? i don't want more dirty fish, these guppies are filthy!

Any suggestions? i don't want to crowd the tank....

Maybe some Neons? Zebra Danios?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Shouldn't it be shoaling fish?I've never seen any of my fish teaching the others.:p
I have 9 Cardinal Tetras and they tend to stick in a bunch very well although they didn't shoal as well when there was only 6 of them.

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
Actually, to school (aka schooling) is an intransitive verb that means to swim or feed in a school. Shoal actually comes from Old English and generally means shallow, and in its intrasitive sense also means to school or a throng. Just a bit of info, it's all the same and a matter of preference.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
well if you want a fish that is actually going to school, than harlies are a good option because they do usually stick together, i find that neons and other tetras tend not to school unless scared.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I like the zebra danio option. They aren't as colorful as many other fish, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more active group of fish, at an affordable price.

A group of at least 6 is fun to watch... I kept 12 in my 10g when I started fishkeeping.