Schooling.

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
I have 5 bleeding heart tetras and one von rio tetra and they won't school. Does any one know why? I assumed all tetras just kinda ran to each other. My platy schools with the bleeding hearts more so than the von rio. lol

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
are there size differences? some fish dont like to school with fish very different in size from them or different colors. I remember having 5 different colored female platies and the male would only chase my red wag female. Same with my swordtail, he only chased the red wag female, although he was a red wag sword.

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
Theres no noticible difference in size, but colour the von rio is like almost a gold flake colour on his "chest" and red towards the back. The bleeding hearts are almost translucent, but the platy is red and he loves them. lol

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Tetras generally only shoal with other species of tetra if theyre a similar shape/colour/size. For example, glowlights and black skirts are unlikely to shoal, congos and neons are unlikely to shoal, and I reckon von rios and bleeding hearts.

Personally I'd bump up your von rios, he'd be a lot happier.