Schwartzi Cory fish and mating??!!!!!

sassie

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2006
Hi all, I have 2 cory's (Schwartzi) and they are awesome little guys/or should I say a guy and a gal!!
What is the mating issue with Cory's?
Do they mate like mollies do?
Are they livebearers?
Hopw long is the gestation period?
..and if I'm not asking ya'll too much already....do they even bother mating in a tank full of other fish...like 2 guppies (1 male, 1 female), 3 mollies (2 males, 1 female), rainbow shark, that sticky fish that sticks to the side of your tank all the time..very nice fish!, who else?...umm...Glass Bloodfin Tetra, Maeble Hatchet, many tetras...????

Also, may I ask you nice people about the guppies as well?
The female seems to be slightly plump, although it could just be her build! Do they mate like mollies...waht I mean is, no mattter what?!lol...and are they livebearers?

Thanks so much for all your help in advance!!!
I do so very much appreciate it!

Kindly,
Sassie

sassie

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2006
OUCH!!

Thank you for your help!
SO, no matter what..I will have baby guppies?
How long is the gestation period for a female?
I have had her for 5 weeks and no babies yet?????
Am I doing something worng?
I will get another female asap. Thnak you for that piece of info!
The male swims soooo fast that I AM sure it's a male, but, with his massively fast swimming..I may, a tiny may, be wrong..but I doubt I am!

I have 2 live plants..and one fake attcajed to a helmet thingy that my shark hides in (Rainbow shark)---oh , and I do know that I will need to get a bigger tank for my shark pretty soon!!! As the aggressiveness will start!
Right now, my Shark (sharky--named by my 6 yr old) chases 3 particular fiah around all the time...I think they are playing tag? What do you think? Is it all, in fun..or is aggression a factor?

Thnak you again..you have been so kind to help me!
Sassie:)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, like molly babies, guppy babies will be eaten by most anything larger than them, including adult guppies. If you have a male and female cory, and they happen to breed (not that common in tanks), any eggs they lay will be eaten more quickly than baby guppies. And, should they hide an egg well, the baby will be smaller than guppy babies when it hatches and will be eaten then.

Rainbow sharks can be aggressive, especially as they mature and in smaller tanks. Make sure you've got a hiding area for the cories as well as the shark.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You have a ton of fish in a ten gallon tank. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/breeding/41218-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html?posted=1#post388174
It's a very stressful environment for the fish, and any fish that are hard to breed will probably not be able to in such an environment.
Before even thinking about breeding more fish you should learn how to keep the ones you have in a healthful environment. Plus, where are you going to put the offspring if you don't have room for the current fish? Hmm.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
she could always buy another tank :)

I'll let you in on a little secret, shh.. don't tell. ;)

I buy fish then in a week or two I say to my wife, "oh these fish are overstocked in here.. ehhemm we need another tank ehhemmm".. then my wife says... "oh gosh, here we go about the fish again" and I say... " I promise, I won't buy anymore fish until we get a new tank"... TADA! You have your self a new tank. Then you just redo that to the other tank to get another one. The downside; moving! I really hope I dont have to move anytime soon.

May I sugest craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events they have a TON of used tanks in my area, hopefully in yours as well.

good luck! :)

sassie

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2006
too funny..thanks!

That was funny!
Sounds like something I would totally do!!!LOLOL
I will make sure I get another tank asap!!
Thanks guys...you were very helpful!!!
Sassie