Scooter Gobie??

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Hey guys,is there such a fish called Scooter Gobie?At the fish store they got some in the tank labeld as such,but in the book i bought "Marine Fishs" there is no fish.there is 1 called Stellate Dragonet that looks just like it,but the book states that this fish is very hard to take care of.The fish store told me there easy to care for...(thats the Scooter version) I ask couse the 2 my nieghbor are giving me look as is and he says they were called scooters when he bought them...little help on the matter would be great,other wise i dont know how to care for them and thats not cool.:confused:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think scooter gobies are stellage dragonets. They're not easy to care ofr as they have the same feeding needs as mandarin fish, and thus share the same fate in the vast majority of cases - they starve to death. They feed on copepods, amphipods and other 'live rock' fauna.

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
dam it! why is the store telling me crap lies then?? how should i care for these guys if they are dragonets?im just a beginer and i dont wanna kill em. whats the best food 4 em and such feeding technique?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
they are prolly gonna die, they should only be introduced to well established reef tanks because they cant really be hand fed, they rely on the nice little critters that develop in your tank after months, so thats what they eat, so basically in most cases they end up slowly starving to death. I dont know what you should do, maybe find a different store to go to.
Brahm

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
they are prolly gonna die, they should only be introduced to well established reef tanks because they cant really be hand fed, they rely on the nice little critters that develop in your tank after months, so thats what they eat, so basically in most cases they end up slowly starving to death. I dont know what you should do, maybe find a different store to go to.
Brahm

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
So i asked around and a buddy of mine who is pretty established reefer says you can feed them with a turkey baster and they will eat brine shrimp and tubifex worms, just gotta put the food directly infront of them because they are lasy
Brahm

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
i put my scooter blenny in my tank at around 2 months after i first set it up. it does eat the little critters, but it also eats blood worms. i've found it quite easy to take care of...but i probably just picked a good one. lol

fait15, you should really be reading up on fish or anything before you go out and buy it. most stores make their employees work off how much they sell (sorry brain freeze, i can't remember what its called) so of course they're going to lie to make a sale.

Tim

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I will give your fish 6 months before it starves and dies. Return it while you can.

Sam Reef
20 Gallon Freshwater planted