Scrubbing algae

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
Has anyone tried using those magnetic scrapers to get algae off the glass of the tank? They seem really convenient to use as opposed to a pad or razor blade, but I'm not sure if they'll be strong enough to really clean it well. Thanks!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
They work well on brown algae, but do little for green algae, and do nothing for spot algae. I just leave a small one in all of my display tanks. Kinda pushed back in a corner...out of sight out of mind.

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
i have heard many people who agree with PURE, however, as a new thread says, if a piece of sand or dirt gets in there, you are up the creek without a paddle (scratches wherever the magnet goes). They are convenient, but risky. Im not sure if i could bring myself to get one

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I have one. I don't really use it. Like other folks have said, you get sand/piece of gravel in that thing and it will really screw up your tank. I tend to use a scrubbie pad, razor blade, or a pleco to clean the glass. Just grab that little guy by the tail and hold him upside down while you move him around the glass. :D

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
LOL at the Pleco joke!!!

My Pleco does a pretty good job, but I was wondering what one should wipe the inside walls with. I don't want to use a washcloth out of the laundry for fear of detergent residue, etc. And I don't suppose you'd want to use paper towel! I don't have any visible algae on the walls, just want to shine it up a bit.