SE Asian Blackwater Biotopes

Feb 3, 2009
Hey, I am looking for some advice on how to setup a black water biotope for my three gouramis. I have a 5.5 gallon tank that I was going to use for the setup, but from many of the sources I have read smaller tanks are not ideal for biotopes. I have the plants (mostly cryptocoryne) but am looking for ways to maintain a lower pH as this is the norm for the habitat. Can I use peat moss with a sponge filter? If so, how?

Any Thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
No 3 gouramis in a 5.5 wouldn't work. Luckily you have a nice group with the male and 2 females so aggression shouldn't be the issue, just I always prefer to give gouramis as much space as I can provide so they can hide. I'd use the 20 aswell, or raid craigslist for another?

I like the idea though :) SE Asian waters tend to feature a lot of tree leaves on the bottom.. I've heard boiling oak leaves to help them sink works, and a nice piece of driftwood never fails to pull the pH down and stain the water. My driftwood in my old 55 kept the water at a very steady pH 6 which was perfect for my discus. I think with sponge filters the best option is to layer the peat moss with the sponge plates, and replace it every now and then to avoid it fouling.

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
My tap water comes out of the faucet with a pH of 8.0-8.2. I was trying to lower it with API's pH DOWN stuff, and it just wouldn't budge. I ended up using part tap water and part distilled water to lower the pH. I know there is some compromise of not getting beneficial bacteria with distilled water, but it at least "dilutes" all the minerals in the tap water so I can keep the pH within a more "natural" range. That's what worked for me. I don't know what everyone's opinion is on using distilled water, so I hope I haven't done anything wrong. (Please tell me if I have so I don't give bad advice, thanks!)

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
For a true blackwater biotope distilled is just fine. The biggest issue is watching your pH because the hardness is almost always very low (or will become low) with the tannins and humic acids. And if you're set on dropping the pH it might just be easier to "make" your water from "scratch" in this case.

I'm not sure what is available to you but Seachem makes some products specifically for tayloring your water.
Take a look at their website Seachem they also have a dealer look up tool which is handy.

Specifically look at these;
1) Equilibrium: Ment to remineralize "pure" water. Perfect for helping maintain a pH, though some sort of carbonate may be needed. I think they have something for that too, don't quote me though ;).
2)Acid Buffer
3)Neutral Regulator
When you mix these two at a specified ratio with pure water (such as RO/DI/Distilled) it will give you a specific pH.

Their support is awesome too, I've never had to wait more than a day or two to hear back from them.

Now, all that said... do you *need* to do all this? No. And in point of fact, this *could* open a whole can-o-worms so far as pH issues.

One other thing... unless those are Sparkling Gourami's or something similar sized (like Licorise G's) into the 5.5 You'll probably have nothing but problems. Both with water quality and with aggression. It's simply too small, long term, for the ones you have.

Chris

BTW,
Sparkling G's: Trichopsis pumila, Pygmy gourami: aquarium

Licorice G's: Parosphromenus deissneri, Licorice gourami: aquarium There's better pic's out there. Just search the scientific name if you're interested.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2009
Thanks for the tips. So you guys think that even with constant water changes, and a heavily planted tank with places to hide, the dwarf gouramis should be left out of the 5.5? If so do you think I could ust the 5.5 gal tank just for spawning and then move them back to the 20 gal?