Sea Apple

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
I know I know I've heard all the bad stuff. But I've done alot of research, and Im gathering that with some common sense these can be a well kept creature. The guy at the LFS says you can tell just like with anything when it's dying and thats when you pull it from yer tank. If not then they will poison the tank!! It seems like this might be an ok buy.
I almost impulse bought last night these things are sofa king cool.....
I wanted to gather any ideas or experiences before i made the purchase also these applesare $60 kinda steep eh?
What do you think...vets please input???
if you've never seen one here it is
http://www.imagequest3d.com/pages/current/pictureoftheweek/seaapples/

so pretty and the ones at the LFS are huge!!!

gimme the good word *thumbsup2

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Well, anything that can poison the tank when it dies will be a risk having in there. But at the same time if you're comfortable with your tank, and it's well established, they really look like it would be a great addition. If you think you can handle it... Go for it...Just be aware that if it dies, when you're not around... You may lose more then just the Apple

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
My LFS has plenty. Yeah they're huge and cool but come on, this is an animal for experts ! Imagine it jammed in a powerhead, releasing poison everywhere. It's not only when they die, stress too. Like everyone ( well almost ), when it comes to marine aquariums, i paranoid. Like fishes, i have some ich when stressed ( just kidding ;) ) . Your tank is great and i would love to see other pics with fishes ..ALIVE ! ;)
You have aggressive little fishies don't you ? Imagine a trigger muching the apple.
I'm not trying to scare you ;-) , i never had sea apples. My LFS never mix it with fishes, cause if one dies, he would lose fishes for nothing. The guy is a black belt in reefkeeping, like 50 years of experience. If he let those apples alone, maybe you should too.
Yeah maybe i'm trying to scare you ;)

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
im shaking in my boots.... How hard could it be??? My Lfs has 3 of them inside his main coral/clam/and everything else tank. I was scared to start a saltwater tank to cuz of what everyone else said....and i think its easy! So hmm powerhead scary thought, trigger wont even eat ghost shrimp hes a sissy. But the dude at lfs said they usually pick a spot and stay there, aren't very nomadic...

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i would stay away from sea apples also, they are difficult to feed and pose a great danger to a tank...why risk it ya know? but like kahluazzz said: its your tank, your money, and your problem to clean up if (when?) things go wrong