Sea Cucumber Molting?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Do sea cucumbers molt? I have a black sea cucumber who has been happily living in my 75g for 4 months. Other than the occasional hermit hitching a ride on his back I have had no situation of concern. He eats, poops sand and moves all over the tank cleaning the sand bed. Yesterday I noticed that his skin looked like it was peeling back to the last third of his length like a sheath coming off. The skin under was a nice black without any type of injury or abrasion. This episode didn't slow him down a bit. It is as if it were a normal occurence. I can't find anything on this other than a small reference to stress??? I haven't done a water change or changed the inhabitants other than to add a small rock with mushrooms on it. I haven't seen the cuke near this rock nor any other issues. The parameters are all acceptable with ammonia/nitrites zero, nitrates barely registerable, phos negligible, calcium about 380-400 dkh 3.5 meq/l. ph 8.4 sal 1.025 temp 78-80
I run a skimmer and 2 seio 850 powerheads along with a aquaclear hob that I converted to a small fuge holding charcoal. I top off daily with about 2 quarts of ro water. everyone else looks happy as a clam even the clam....

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
They only thing I can see in your perams is that the temp is on the high side for the cuc. they say 72- 78 and your topping that at 78 -80. \
If it seems okay other than that just keep a close eye on him, cause if they die they can be toxic and whip out your entire tank if not noticed in time.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I know but it seems to be business as usual. I have always maintained it at those temps, I imagine some that are not from the indonesia or south pacific would like cooler temps......