Sea cucumber

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Hey i am not all that familiar with sea cucumbers but i got the tiger tail one from Drs foster and smith and it at first seemed fine it was elongated and it would slowly work its way around the aquarium usually at night, it would stay out of the light since it is nocturnal, but now it has bunched up into a 2 " long 1.5" wide ball and it is sitting out in the open, i know they can sometimes release toxins and was just considering removing it before it died, let me know what you think
Thanks
Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, I dont have cucumbers just for that fact. My advice is when in doubt get rid of it...fast. Sea cucumbers dont wait to long before releasing their toxin.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have black sea cucumbers in both my tanks and have had them for months. He moves all around the sand old sand goes in one end, comes out the other cleaned.....he crawls through the rock and I have seen him stretch himself out to almost a foot long or shrink down to about 7 inches.....occasionally I see hermits hitching a ride on him.....though a very slow ride. He sheds about once every month or so.....otherwise he is a perfect citizen. The one in my 20g is small only 4 inches or so stretched out....crawls everywhere into the skimmer outlet all over the glass.....but otherwise good too. I think if you get a healthy one, you have enough live sand to support their appetite you should be okay. At the first sign of any stress or health issues you would want to get him out of there though as they can and do release toxins. If you buy one, never ever add shipping water to your tank.....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Ok, another question.

marinelivedepot tells me that the sand sifting star almost the opposite of what liveaquaria tells me. One site says it will eat destrius and the other stays it will not. Could the starfish in my tank really be keeping my pod numbers down? Would it be a good call to remove it and put in a cucumber? I have been thinking about this lately and doing my homework. Between the two sites ones also says it will poison the tank when it dies and the other says it will not. Well it says in the wild it will, but not in the home aquarium. According to you guys and gals, they can poison the tank. Thoughts?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
I have one that i have no idea what it is, it hithicked inot the mantis tank some how. its about 4 inches long, translucent pink with pinish white spot, and it pulls its food in with these feather like tentacles with its mouth, im think about selling it for coral money

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Ram... that might be a small medusa worm (pink kind). If it is one, and when it gets bigger it can be worth some money. Sometimes they have/can have a mated pair of pistol shrimp living on them... makes the specimen cost alot more.