Sea Horse?

hey guys i'm a fresh water person but anyways i wanted to know if anyone had sea horses, or if you would be able to get sea horses from your lfs for your salt water aquarium, if anyone has sea horses can you post a pick :) i might see if i can start a fresh water with some, oh ya and are sea horses salt water :) (not sure becasue i saw them in a tank with lots of plants so i dunno :/ )

Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
sea horses are saltwater and if i remember correctly they are pretty hard to take care of and require a species-only tank. i think if you are going to start in saltwater you should start with a hardy fish and just the basics and then work your way up from there

kikuchiyo

Large Fish
Apr 28, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I wouldn't even start with a 10 gallon saltwater tank. S/W tanks are very hard to take care of, bigger tanks allow for more oopsies. Really skilled hobbyists take their hand at 10 gallon nano saltwater, but that's simply not enough water for a beginner.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I hate to break it to people. Seahorses are now on the cited list...meaning it is illegal to collect wild ones. There are tank bred specimens, but run hundreds of dollars. Also Phantom brought up a good point, they are hard to take care of.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, last I saw it was $50 or more for tank-bred seahorses, and that's a starting price. They do need a specialized habitat, and can't be kept with fish at all. They need careful feeding of live food every day. Definitely not something to get into without a lot of research and cash.